It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stella Rose on PJ Harvey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 pm 

in this video the singer, poet and musician Stella Rose Gahan ( Dave Gahan's [ Depeche Mode] daughter) talks about her influences. PJ's name soon comes out. ( i cut out all the bits unrelated to PJ)

interviewer:
Quote:
what's the first music you remember growing up?

(...)

SR:
Quote:
(...) and as i got older i think i got more into PJ Harvey (...) my biggest influences are now... PJ Harvey is one of my, like... everything she did in her career i really love, it seems like... she respected her artistry, like she tried different stuff, she worked with different people and then you gain over time the respect that you want (...)

(...)

Interviewer:
Quote:
so would you say PJ Harvey... does that music remind you of your teens, your period growing up?

SR:
Quote:
i think late teens i definitely got more into PJ Harvey. Honestly at first a lot of the stuff my dad was trying to show me, i kinda rejected it obviously, when you are a kid you are like "i have my own thing like don't tell me what to listen to". After a while i was like " oh shit", after i've found her on my own again i thing i was " oh shit, this is so cool!" like, the lyrics, the attitude, the videos, everything. I think i like her the most because she has an amazing balance of feminine and masculine which i tried to do. 'cause i think is cool to go through both. 'cause some songs feel more feminine and i think it can be fine if you twist it and bring a different kind of presence in it, so...(interrupted)

it's interesting to hear a millennial's ( is that the right word?) or a really young artist's opinion on PJ.

source: https://youtu.be/tlu0L_zTruI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 pm 

*** on this note, check out Dave Gahan's cover of "the desperate kingdom of love". Obviously the original is better, but it's a welcomed version.

https://youtu.be/__hcZ9aazok