It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:55 pm 

You've surely heard of this already, but PJ was included in this list. she was ranked n. 145 with the following description:
Quote:
“To me, the vocals are more important than guitar playing — or anything, really,” Polly Jean Harvey told Rolling Stone in 1993. She meant it: Harvey’s vocal approach has changed tack many times over the years, and every time, it’s striking. The rocking roar of Dry and Rid of Me, her first two albums, in 1992 and 1993, bent toward blues with To Bring You My Love in 1995, went toward a lighter, airier, clearer voice on White Chalk in 2007, adding a near-Broadway breadth and depth for Let England Shake in 2011. The opera lessons she began mid-career helped. But they were merely icing on a voice that was commanding from jump.

Just to highlight the utter nosense of the article, Beyonce is ranked n. 8. 8! :eyeroll: While Glenn Danzig( who is basically a metal version of Elvis Presley, frickin' hell) was ranked n. 199, Patti Smith n. 117, Ozzy Osburne n. 112, Johnny Cash n. 85 and so on( i suggest you to look up the whole thing if you want to have a laugh). Probably one of the most right choice was Billie Holiday, ranked n. 4. After all the article didn't trigger me as much as it made me laugh, but i'm glad PJ even made it into the first 200! :laugh:

source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 234642307/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:46 pm 

Yes, I had read that chart and found it outrageous!
I mean, Jeff Buckley at number 131 or something like that, preceded by... Courtney Love!
Are you serious?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:51 pm 

While I agree that the idea of ranking singers is nonsensical and probably just an easy way for RS to generate clicks (there have been some heated discussions about this list online—and I see it's managed to cause some outrage here as well, so well done editors), Beyoncé has better vocal chops and technique than most of the artists featured here—Polly included—so I stand behind her placing that high. The true baffling choice is Dylan at #15, lol.