It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:16 pm 

In this PJ interview, Polly mentions in the first minute that she fell out with Rob Ellis, and didn't speak with him for four years between the years 1994 to 1998.

Anyone know what it was about?

Youtube Video:
PJ Harvey - Kylie Minogue, she's not a person
Channel ScottishTeeVee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwuP2VysqA

I must say that I am glad that whatever happened, that she worked with Rob again and made some brilliant music.

Frankie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:25 am 

It was the classic case of creative differences that reportedly led to their splitting right after the Rid of Me tour in 1993. Polly said that Rob "being a writer himself" was strongly opinionated as far as songwriting was concerned, and this brought about a series of arguments that made their creative relationship increasingly difficult. So Ellis decided to fullfil his duty to finish the tour, but once it was over he left the band.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:39 am 

She's showing her usual vagueness about dates: they were certainly speaking again by the time Rob came out with Soundtrack to Spleen in 1996 as she's on quite a bit of it and, I think, more than people usually realise. There's a track called 'Romanza per Psychopathica' where it's definitely her saying 'No' over and over again to a male voice (not Rob) who begs to see her 'one last time'; and another track is called 'Incident at Cannon Falls', which is where Rid of Me was recorded. The NME reckoned that Soundtrack to Spleen was 'the sound of a man stuck in darkest Yeovil with a few things to work out'. All good fun : )

Oh, and Rob played on the Louse Point tour. I'd forgotten!