It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:28 am 

So nice to hear Dance in proper quality.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:56 pm 

Polly says, "'Memphis' was written for Jeff Buckley. I was in shock from his death as many of us were, and had only received a letter from him the week before in which he sounded so well, so happy. There were many things I wished I could say to him, so instead I wrote this song.

'Wait' was one of my first songs ever written, and here John Parish, my lifelong musical partner and friend, is showing me how to record. Through John I learnt all I know today about decision making in music, and in life. Good lord John, I am so blessed to have had you come in to my life!"

A pity she didn't write anything about Dance, as it's one of the earliest demos where we get to hear the vocal style, the guitar playing and the sounds she developed for the Dry album - compared to the other songs from the same period which are more folk-oriented. Plus, the recording shows a smart use of dynamics with the addition of small parts during each verse (the second high-octave voice, the cymbal) on top of the repeated guitar part, an early example of the minimalist arrangement that would be further developed for her debut album. And last but not least, the song is very Dylan-esque (the lyrics "Maggie comes fleet foot, face full of black soot/Talkin' that the heat put plants in the bed, but" are actually borrowed verbatim from Subterranean Homesick Blues) and it would have been a chance to expand on the role of Bob Dylan as an influence on her earlier songs. Anyway, I love this song.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:14 pm 

Co-signing the above two posts about “Dance”. Great to hear it without the sibilant distortion inherent to the vinyl (my 7” sounds just like the vinyl rip that’s circulated for years), and with a much beefier low end to the guitar (there isn’t really any low end on that vinyl rip!). The mid-range of the guitar sounds different, but who knows if it’s more representative of Polly’s original mix, or if it’s the result of recent remastering… Regardless, great to hear it like this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:48 am 

Three new tracks appeared on youtube: the big guns called me back again,shaker aamer, the age of dollar demo.
https://youtu.be/W-ZB81CZAi0
https://youtu.be/VwF520qDGkk
https://youtu.be/nWfbU_aAMv4

Her (eventual) comment on these tracks will be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:24 am 

LOVE the demo for Age Of The Dollar! And I love the version on the documentary too, so much so that I still think this track should have been on Hope Six, possibly instead of Near the Memorials... I can't stomach that track, in my opinion it just ruins the flow of the album, while Age of the Dollar would have been perfect between Chain of Keys and River Anacostia. And it's never been played live too. Shame shame shame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:37 pm 

As i expected, PJ commented only on 'The Age of the Dollar':
Quote:
This song so nearly made it onto Hope Six and the band and I did try a wonderful version of it which made it onto Seamus Murphy's mighty film 'A Dog Called Money' but here we have my home demo which is still so lovely, so melodic.
I can hear I am still working out what words to sing and approximating the band vocals in my low octave voice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:25 am 

bruise wrote:
Near the Memorials... I can't stomach that track, in my opinion it just ruins the flow of the album,

I whole-heartedly agree about Memorials. The beginning is grating as hell. In an act of supreme sacrilege i made an edit cutting out the intro out. It is far more tolerable. Shame shame shame on me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:45 am 

uroboros wrote:
I whole-heartedly agree about Memorials. The beginning is grating as hell. In an act of supreme sacrilege i made an edit cutting out the intro out. It is far more tolerable. Shame shame shame on me

Nothing to be ashamed of, mate ;)
I made a playlist of the album with a recording of Age of The Dollar from the documentary, in place of Memorials...
(can't wait to make a re-arranged version of 4-Track Demos following the Rid of Me tracklist too)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:30 pm 

What's the problem with 'Memorials', dare I ask?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:44 pm 

Sure! Well, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what I don't like about it. I'd say the melody of the verses and the falsetto combined with the flute underneath make it a little off to my ears, as well as the way the verses and the chorus sound ....a bit stitched together? But mostly it's about the placement, really. As I said before, it ruins the flow of the album for me, coming on after some spectacular tracks that tie beautifully toghether, almost naturally and effortlessly, and preceding my favourite of the lot (but I suspect I would feel the same whatever position it was on the record, to be honest).

And since I'm on it, I firmly believe The Age of the Dollar (as heard on the documentary) suits much better the whole record. Sonically it would have contributed to the atmosphere of community as a running theme and the instrument played by John Parish (I think it's a melodica) adds that middle-eastern flavour that takes me visually to those very places that inspired part of the album. Maybe some would deem it a "too literal" choice, but for me it's a great touch that went wasted (as other sonic references that evolved in something - dare I say it? yes - flatter. But that's a different issue).

There, I finally said it! Sorry for the long rant XD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:36 pm 

bruise wrote:
Sorry for the long rant XD

No, that's interesting! I'm quite fond of it, so I was intrigued to hear a different opinion.

I see we haven't done a 'Least Favourite PJH Song' thread since 2009. Lots more to go on now : )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:21 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
I'm quite fond of it

Are you? Guess it's my turn to ask why so ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:09 pm 

bruise wrote:
Guess it's my turn to ask why so ;)

I suppose I was asking for that!

In contrast to the people here who specifically said they couldn't stand the start, I find the sudden crash into the lyrics exciting, and the jagged contrasts between the elements - what word should I use? - vigorous. They form around the baleful lyrics neatly. But then, I like the album version of 'Joy' ... !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:23 am 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
I find the sudden crash into the lyrics exciting

I listened to it again, and actually I have to say I agree with you. The urgent, decisive start of the song is undoubtly powerful, and that's a common feature of her songs that I usually enjoy (I mean, "Oh My Lover"...?! What a start!), just not in the context of this tracklist as I said before. I suppose I would enoy it more if it had been a b-side or a standalone track perhaps. I guess after years of listening to her incredibly well crafted albums my taste has become extremely picky...!

AineteEkaterini wrote:
But then, I like the album version of 'Joy' ... !

I like it too, both the album and live version! They sound so different, I can't decide which one I like best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:34 pm 

Anyone from across the pond listening to this set yet? It should be streaming on digital platforms in the UK and points East by now, >midnight local time. If so, please share your thoughts on the unreleased tracks and anything newly mastered for digital playback! I have another 4 and a half hours to go here in Eastern U.S.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next