It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:56 pm 

Has anyone seen episode 9 yet? I’m pretty sure there’s a PJ Harvey cover of ´God’s Gonna Cut You Down´.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:26 pm 

bittertiger wrote:
Has anyone seen episode 9 yet? I’m pretty sure there’s a PJ Harvey cover of ´God’s Gonna Cut You Down´.

Someone's put the audio for it on t'internet:
https://vocaroo.com/105iaVQK73Ya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:25 pm 

Yep, that’s her all right. Thanks for sharing. Wish they’d release that as a digital single like they did for “Who By Fire”—I much prefer this song.

Even better would be if they actually used (and released on music platforms) some of her ‘orphan’ songs like we’d been led to believe would happen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:34 pm 

I am fairly certain there’s another “orphan” in episode 7 or 8, will have to rewatch it and rip it for your consideration

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:20 am 

The complete soundtrack is out now on digital platforms. It’s credited to “PJ Harvey and Tim Phillips”.

There’s a slide guitar on the fourth track that I wonder if Polly played. Sounds like a Telecaster.

Surprised no one else posted about this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:17 pm 

PJ commented on the complete soundtrack release:
Quote:
I loved working with Tim, who was well prepared and knew exactly what he needed from me in order to create the sound he was hearing in his head.
I think it is magical how Tim has used our created instrument, affectionately known as 'The Pollytron', in order to access the perfect emotional soundscape for this unique series.

Tim too commented on it:
Quote:
Bad Sisters needed to have its roots in an earthy, feminine place and also to show heart, humour, mystery and suspense...
we created a vast sample library of PJH singing all sorts of different things such as howls, whoops, cackles, whispers, scales of notes, quarter tone note bends, vocal slides between notes...

I've been pretty busy these days, maybe this evening i'll share my general and final opinion on the series, focusing on PJ's contribute.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:57 pm 

I will confess to getting a bit confused here.
There appear to be two different things out there, both described as the soundtrack to Bad Sisters.

This one seems to be a bunch of regular songs, which is what i found first and was rather disappointed with - not much Polly:
https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/music-from-bad-sisters/pl.9c959442cedd4bfb8bf75100048460e2

But this one seems to be the one with the "Pollytron"
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=vZqjQl4x8sA&list=OLAK5uy_mKCoINkHH6wS0VGYrU_n7aSZ4aXYZqtCw

I'm still not hearing any "orphans" though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:48 pm 

Ignore the playlist. I guess all those songs were featured in the series? (That’s a lot of licensing to clear, if true—wow). That playlist came up for me last night when the soundtrack was first announced on a few different websites. But it has practically nothing to do with Polly. The score to the series is what she and Tim Phillips wrote and performed together. It is also on Apple Music and YouTube and, I presume, Spotify and any other digital platforms.

Link to the score album on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... Sha7CutrWw

If you use Apple Music, the entire score soundtrack by Polly & Tim should come up if you just search for “Bad Sisters soundtrack”. I have it in my library.

You’re right, no orphans detected, but the score itself is pretty cool. Just wish it were possible to know who wrote and played which parts that we’re hearing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:46 pm 

Well, the score is in fact pretty much as Tim Phillips described it, but the production drowns Polly's vocals so much that her voice is barely recognizable except for a few tracks. Sadly it sounds like an average ambient album with just any vocalist, the description made it much more exciting than it is for me.

BUT on her Instagram post she added "More on the Pollytron soon", so fingers crossed for the orphan songs!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:58 pm 

There i am. For my opinion on the series in general I'll try to be as concise as i can: as i said before, it's not my cup of tea, i would say for "cultural"(i'm being vague on purpose) reasons and for other things( like the fact that, despite it being a dark COMEDY i giggled, at most, thrice), yet the acting is really good and the italian voice acting is superb ( as always :wink: ).
The other thing i enjoyed a lot was the soundtrack: i quite liked all the songs used( there is even a Billie Holiday song, she was and still is a jazz legend), most of them are folky ones, and they cover a good portion of the series(yes, BobSimms, there were plenty of songs). Then there's the score made by PJ and Tim Philips which was, in its entirety, a positive finding.
In the series the score is often subtle, it blends with the scene and sometimes you barely notice it, for instance i didn't recognise at all PJ's voice in the bits made with the "Pollytron" until yesterday's release. I've got to say that it shows how PJ's vocal capabilities are still there and perfectly intact; the Pollytron vocals somewhat reminded me of "A Man A Woman Walked By)! Last but not least, i fell in love with the "God's Gonna Cut You down"( one of my Johnny Cash favorites) cover and more i listen to it more i like it, even though i don't know why it's just called "Run On" in the score.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 pm 

Ah, i've almost forgot the "orphans" issue: yeah, not finding any was pretty disappointing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:29 pm 

Here is an interview from Youtube about Bad Sisters Q&A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwNX_uyO44