It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:36 pm 

the one being interviewed is Enrico Gabrielli, who played the saxophone and clarinet in the "Hope Six Demolition Project" album and tour. side note, i cut all the uninteresting "smalltalk" of the first part of the video, since it has almost nothing to do with PJ. The subject is PJ's 2019 movie "A Dog Called Money " . video posted on the 31st may 2020.

Lorenzo(interviewer):
Quote:
(...)now i'll introduce Enrico who plays an important part in its core... you met PJ Harvey, composed and worked with her, not in the movie's time, when she travelled in America, Afghanistan and Ex-Yugoslavia but in the recording room; i would like to ask you, how did you, who had a conservatory and classical musical background, meet her, and how did you end up playing with her (...)?

Enrico Gabrielli:
Quote:
(...) Now, how i met PJ Harvey... i was touring with "Mondo Cane", meaning Mike Patton, the singer of "Faith No More", who had a project in which he covered 1960s italian songs. we had this tour in 2010-2011, i can't remember well, aaand for coincidence, while we were touring with a great ensemble in Sydney, Polly came to the concert brought by John Parish and Jean Marc Bouty, who are important Polly's friends and who recorded with her "Let England Shake", because she normally do not attend (others') concerts, she goes a lot to theatre and cinema but she gets bored attending to concerts. There she decided to hire me and Alessandro Stefana, called "Asso". (=Ace)

Lorenzo:
Quote:
now i have a question i'm sure many others have: it's not a normal day thing to have PJ Harvey passing by and hiring you... how did you react?

E.G.:
Quote:
it's quite easy.. i've been lucky to have my classical experience, so i listened to classical and contemporary music until i was 22-23 years old. even though i was born in '76 i did not have the tipical (musical) myths of my generation, like Kurt Cobain or Nirvana or Polly herself. I became aware of those "things" a lot later, so i've never been a fan, which was a fortune because Polly is one of those really resolved yet very shy artists who struggle to have a relation with their fanbase. If you show yourself as a breath-taken ultra gay fan she gets really embarassed. I knew most of her most famous tracks on stage, and i think she really apprecianted that. I knew firstly the person then the musician two figures that are really close because she is...
(interrupted)

Lorenzo:
Quote:
say to us something about it.. is there something you've found in the person you did not find in the musician?

E.G.:
Quote:
yes, many things, because she's a very disciplinated person, tipical thing of english culture i would say, and she has extremely clear ideas; she has a "family" concept to which she asks for suggestions, she is also really close to her proper family, talking of which, on february her father passed away, event that has been really terrible for her, it's not corona virus' fault though.
aaaand she encircles herself with people with whom she firstly builds a sentimental link then a musical one, she wants first of all band of men, that's why in this case she gathered this huge formation. What i discovered was a tremendously sweet person, with an incredible tenderness, for instance, i turned 40 while we were touring in the "flog"(a place in Firenze in which rock concerts are held) in Firenze; for my 40th birthday she organised a true birthday party, with even a cake, like we were a family, i mean being a quite long tour she knew we weren't just workmates, you are really close with eachother. I've never heard her raising her voice towards anyone of the staff (...)

Lorenzo:
Quote:
Tell me, Enrico, how was the recording room experience, with that peculiar glass who could let people see you while you could not see them?

E.G.:
Quote:
i was really taken by... i mean i'm not a a person who speaks english very well, so i struggled a lot to understand what her and Flood wanted me to do, because they have a really heavy accent, SHE has a really heavy Dorset accent i couldn't figure out anything, i swear! they even played with that typical english humor so they laughed a lot... it was a real struggle! (...) i managed to really understand the situation when i watched this movie. (...) but i knew when i was doing something not right for Polly with my clarinet ( gets cut for technical issues)

well that was more difficult than i thought... hope it was worth it guys.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCJynHf ... &index=177

Last edited by Sebastiano Boina on Sat May 28, 2022 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:40 pm 

Thanks for translating, Sebastiano. I did wonder how she'd met Alessandro and Enrico (since she seemed to have no previous connections to them, unlike to most of the Hope Six band) and now we know it was a bit of a coincidence!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:36 pm 

Bellissimo. Davvero intimo e tenero e ricco. Grazie per lo sbatti della traduzione