It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:39 pm 

February 4th 2022: Instagram photos of Polly working on music in a studio taken by Steve Gullick in 2022.

Spoiler! :

April 24th 2022: New album out in 2023 confirmed in an interview with Kate Kellaway in The Observer.

Spoiler! :
She lets slip that she has a new album coming out next year and, although not supposed to be talking about it, allows herself to say: “I’m really pleased with it – and I’m my own harshest critic.”

June 28th 2022: Summer 2023 confirmed as the release date in an interview with Kory Grow in Rolling Stone. The album was not demoed on a 4-track tape recorder, unlike her previous ones.

Spoiler! :
When she hasn’t been working on poetry, she has been recording a new album, due out next summer. “I’m very pleased with it,” she says of the music. “It took a long time to write to get right, but at last I feel very happy with it.”

“This last album I’ve just done, I literally sang in the phone; I didn’t even demo it, because I didn’t want to get attached to the demo versions.”

Last edited by TheNightingale on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The New Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:13 pm 

She appears to have fully and completely transitioned from musician to poet now; pay no attention to the guitar and effects pedals and cables…

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:47 pm 

Well, let the speculations begin!

When we first got a few shots of her in the studio over a year ago, I thought they might have been pictures of her recording an audiobook version of her poetry—and now that some of them have been used in the promo for Orlam, it seems it was a right assumption to make.

But these recent ones are different as they clearly feature an array of instruments so some sort of music has been recorded!

Now, will it be a stand-alone full-length album? The long-awaited PJLP10? My first guess—trying not to get my hopes up—was that she might be recording songs featured in Orlam (or maybe even an instrumental soundtrack to accompany readings) but who knows? I feel like she would want Orlam to stand on its own as a book, not overshadowed by a recorded companion piece. So perhaps a totally unrelated musical project has been growing alongside it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:24 pm 

Looking at the guitar pedals she's using, I guess we should brace ourselves for some utterly weird-sounding atmospheric tracks...!

(If you want to get an idea of how they sound like, check them out on Youtube: Arpanoid, Transmisser and -most importantly - the Rainbow Machine, all produced by Earthquaker Devices. I assure you these are some of the craziest guitar pedals on the market!).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:43 pm 

Yes fucking please!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:23 pm 

She may do an Audio version of the book Orlam, as many do in this days, and maybe she'll recite poems with some strange noise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:28 am 

Now we know for sure a new album is in the making and she is pretty pleased with it, So i would love to speculate a bit about it. Well, one of my, pardon the french, wet dreams is a psychedelic rock ( Doors like) PJ Harvey's album. I mean, We know, thanks to mr Bruise, that the pedals she is using produce weird sounds; and it's a fact she likes The Doors, so my hypothesis/desire may not be that far from the truth. What are your takes on this matter?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm 

Sebastiano Boina wrote:
What are your takes on this matter?

Well, we know it won't be accompanied by a demos album. Here's a quote from the new Rolling Stone interview:

Quote:
This last album I’ve just done, I literally sang in the phone; I didn’t even demo it, because I didn’t want to get attached to the demo versions.

If her recent musical interests revealed in interviews and self-curated playlists are a hint, then I suppose we can expect something more atmospheric, soundscape-y and non-linear? I remember her saying that writings scores for theatre opened her up so perhaps we'll get some non-traditional song structures?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:00 pm 

Mh, i'm not really sure on what PJ will bring us next year, but there's a thing i know as a fact: it won't be disappointing.

I'm really looking foward to some mini-concerts/radio appearences/whatever( she has done them for the previous albums many times) that will reveal a couple of next album's tracks. I'm confident.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:35 pm 

John spilled some beans about the upcoming album:

- at the moment it hasn't been mastered yet, probably it will be out next year
-the album is connected to the book Orlam
-some of the poems on Orlam are the lyrics of some of the new songs (tweaked so they could fit melodically)
- the songs will be in Dorset dialect
- keywords he mentioned: melodicism, atmosphere

4:20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:59 pm 

They’ll be touring for the new album also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:21 pm 

^ I skipped through and found a bit near the end where John is showing his guitars (which is quite interesting in itself) and he mentions (about 1:19:00) that his "parlour guitar" is used a lot on Polly's new album, also that he is thinking how to recreate the sound of it when they go on tour! (Because it's old and belongs to his wife so he can't take it on tour!)
:grin:

Ah, Bob beat me to it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:55 pm 

bruise wrote:
-the album is connected to the book Orlam
-some of the poems on Orlam are the lyrics of some of the new songs (tweaked so they could fit melodically)
- the songs will be in Dorset dialect

Lead single "Our Farter Who Art Unshaven" rumoured to drop in the first quarter of 2023.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:42 pm 

:shocked: Wouldn't surprise me
B-side "The Natural"? The one with the labrador ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:14 pm 

Marvellous interview with Mr. Parish, a legend. Now i get why she was so conservative and negligent in her answer to the questions which suggested a hypotetical musical version of Orlam.

About that lead single rumor, it would make perfect sense, according to my previous comment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next