It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:07 pm 

the only track that doesn't figure in the trackless but is on that shot from the trailer is "O Wildest Wildest Wood" (which isn't in the Orlam either) maybe a working title for the album ? Or an extra track

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:06 am 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYMlixvzHM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:19 am 

And so, did she leave Island Records? :shocked:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:43 am 

lepetitlord wrote:
the only track that doesn't figure in the trackless but is on that shot from the trailer is "O Wildest Wildest Wood" (which isn't in the Orlam either)

It's not one of the titles, but it's the starting line of the second section of "A Premonition".
So yeah, that's one more track already on the hunt list ;)

Anyway, what do you guys think of the new single?
Personally, I'm thrilled about the new musical direction! If the new song is representative of the new album, I love that she's concentrating more on soundscapes and atmospheres rather than traditional guitar riffs this time. And the fact that she's putting her notes/work in progress on the forefront makes it even more intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:46 am 

Mmm it didn't catch me at all, I never liked that high voice modulation, but I surely appreciate sounds so accurate and evocative. Wait for the global album.
As a previous post, hitted me the most the label changing: Island was "her home" from beginnings, so I see this a sort of earthquacke!
Plus, I ask myself if she knows about some sort of 'markenting speculation' about merchandising: Lp with signed sheet at 93 euros and overall officially t-shirt at 47 euros ? Seriously?!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:59 am 

Quote:
According to the double Mercury Prize-winning artist, ‘I Inside The Old Year Dying’, was written over a period of three weeks, although stemmed from ideas dating back to 2017 when she felt she had lost her connection with music.

Quote:
Seeking to revive her connection with songwriting, the inspiration for the new tracks was uncovered following advice from film-maker Steve McQueen, who told her to ignore the ‘process of writing an album’, and instead rediscover why she first fell in love with “words, images and music”.

Quote:
The album will see the singer-songwriter return to her roots – inspired by the likes of Nina Simone and Bob Dylan – and provide fans with “a resting space, a solace, a comfort, a balm” which is created to feel “timely for the times we’re in.

From an article from NME https://www.nme.com/news/music/pj-harvey-announces-new-album-with-enchanting-single-a-childs-question-august-pre-order-listen-3435730

Very happy that she is going back to her roots in a way. Personally I really liked the new single, it brings me a very charming and lovely feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:34 am 

Well in my book this single delivers in spades...

Love the contrast between the high and lower register and the male backing vocal and really like the atmosphere of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:46 pm 

here i am.

i love psychedelic music, and this gave me that exact vibe , and it's good stuff.
i'm going to post some pictures with my thoughts.

this is the new style of PJ's youtube channel... it's lovely, because up until yesterday there was just a black image with "pj harvey" written on it, both in the profile pic and in the background pic. it's like an epiphany(for reference, it comes from επι φαινω, which means "to unveil" perfect for describing this)!

here youtube says "11 not available videos are hidden" which could mean that for a brief time we could listen to all the album's tracks, maybe for a little publishing mistake. alas, i was busy and i didn't check before.

last thing, do you think the people showed in the video are somehow related to PJ or those are only random old pictures? this lady at 0:15 looks like Polly:

maybe her mother?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:54 pm 

Yes, I assumed all the old photographs in the video are of her mother—at least the woman in them certainly looks like Eva.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 pm 

well, this confirms that this album "goes back" to her roots, it is indeed quite intimate music. "rediscover why she first fell in love with “words, images and music”"... i may be wrong but it kinda makes sense: she fell in love with music when she was a little girl and thanks to her parents, hence the pictures of a young Eva Harvey, and maybe a baby PJ Harvey?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:34 pm 

Sebastiano Boina wrote:
do you think the people showed in the video are somehow related to PJ or those are only random old pictures? this lady at 0:15 looks like Polly
maybe her mother?

Yes, I think so.
And maybe I'm wrong but I believe the first girl is baby Polly

Same here, in her mother's arms (and possibly her brother peeking behind the car?)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:05 pm 

Not sure who the people in the pictures are but the notes/lyrics seen in the video are written on the back of a vibrator instruction manual.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:13 pm 

Like Giusy, it doesn't stir the blood. Just sounds a bit tame. I like the vocals (Englishness). I am sure it will work in the context of an album and a live concert just like the songs from THSDP.

Last edited by ct4spinner on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:20 pm 

Love the Official Video. The album cover has an esoteric vibe for me. Reminded me of the Led Zeppelin IV picture. May the album give me a Polly in Wonderland trip!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:23 pm 

I thought Partisan Records was just for USA distribution and promotion. Looks like it's for World Wide. Thirty years at Island. New horizons.

Last edited by ct4spinner on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next