It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 am 

Nice read - features a lot of artists i like, Sleater-Kinney, Bikini Kill, Bratmobile - to name just a few....but also features a certain lady and a song by the name of 50ft Queenie.

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... -33-songs/

PJ Harvey
“50 Ft. Queenie”
Long before she stepped out as the world’s most fantastically feathered, sax-wielding diva, the young PJ Harvey subverted rock patriarchy with a bone-raw blues-punk attack and graphic, skin-chafing lyricism. Her Steve Albini-produced second album, Rid of Me, didn’t just reorient rock ‘n’ roll’s lusty, predatory id through a female gaze; it treated the bedroom as a battleground and sex as bloodsport. Traditional gender power dynamics were violently upended throughout, from the title track’s sinister post-breakup revenge plot to the Zep-heavy “Rub ‘Til It Bleeds,” in which an acquiescent lover takes matters (ahem) into her own hands.

Harvey turned the tables most aggressively on the mid-album rave-up “50 Ft. Queenie,” which was almost certainly the only song about pegging to get played on 120 Minutes. (“You bend over, Cassanova/No sweat I’m clean/Nothing can stop me!”) At a time when the world was tuning into the unvarnished voices of Kathleen Hanna and Liz Phair, Harvey resisted being lumped in with her more openly feminist peers, pledging allegiance instead to male icons like the Rolling Stones, Nick Cave, and Howlin’ Wolf. But on “50 Ft. Queenie,” she wasn’t paying tribute to her wang-dang-doodlin’ idols—she was crashing their cock-rock world wielding a strap-on with no lube. —Stuart Berman