It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 am 

Nice ♫♪ :wink:

Last edited by jesuspolly on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:40 pm 

That's wonderful, thank you for that! The author hasn't found that amazing note she hits on 'There will never be a better time', which I think is a G on the bass clef - I'm no musician but tried to match it on the piano.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:24 pm 

While I think of it, the other thing that occurs to me as incredible is that this skinny frame can produce such a powerful voice. Normally you have to have a bit more mass about you for that. On 'Double Dare' we start with Mick Harvey's quite ordinary tenor, and then when PJ starts you have to take a step back. It's very striking. Her speaking voice is pleasant, but not especially resonant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:55 pm 

I think the most impressive selection of low notes I've heard her sing is on I Think I'm A Mother at the Bizarre Festival. Sounds like a Russian bass ventriloquist is throwing notes from offstage!

I suspect it's her enormous range which gives her mid-range its quality - harmonics & sub-harmonics are available to her which she can use to convey differing emotions. I've heard more emotional range in one note of hers than some performers can manage in a whole career!
That's what I don't like about her latest incarnations. For me at any rate, she's lost a lot of subtlety & complexity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:48 pm 

We've talked about this elsewhere, haven't we? I know what you mean, but also know that she feels to unleash her full works on this material would crush and smother it - and she's right, it would. It would direct the focus on her, not it. Her current vocal reticence is simultaneously understandable, admirable, and frustrating. If nothing else, think of the humility this calls for: 'I can sing like nobody else can, but I'm not going to, because for now I have to do something more important.'