It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:38 pm 

error wrote:
xmasinspace wrote:
Does anyone know where it can be bought in FLAC/WAV in the US?

So far I only found a lossless version at Qobuz… but they're only selling in a few European countries. It will probably pop up in other digital stores (7digital, Bleep, Boomkat) this Friday, the regular release day for popular tunes.

Thanks! Here's hoping... Don't mind these one-off releases if that's what b-sides have become but for me it's important to have them in the best quality available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:01 am 

Now available on US iTunes!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:55 am 

So glad we have this song, Ive been curious. I wouldn't have mind if the whole album was like this lol. I still rate Hope Six like an 8.25. But if all the songs were this good it would have been a ten. I feel like the lyrics are more effective and original and mysterious, some of her best ever really. Its a real grower too. Her vocal style on the song is a lot like Is This Desire, which I love.
This is kind of weird, but I love the way she says "texassz" and "voiceszz".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:25 am 

Kujjj wrote:
So glad we have this song, Ive been curious. I wouldn't have mind if the whole album was like this lol. I still rate Hope Six like an 8.25. But if all the songs were this good it would have been a ten. I feel like the lyrics are more effective and original and mysterious, some of her best ever really. Its a real grower too. Her vocal style on the song is a lot like Is This Desire, which I love.
This is kind of weird, but I love the way she says "texassz" and "voiceszz".

Agree that the album would have been a lot stronger if it was packed with songs like this. That is, I think the album's often most successful at its heaviest and most brutal, when music carries across the desired impact of the lyrics, as in Ministry of Defense, and that Guilty is of that calibre. I think it's definitely stronger than an annoyingly malnourished song like Medicinals, which is very catchy, but too short and overly ambitious. It ends up degrading into whimsy ('we're always here'!), though the essential concept is interesting. Guilty however hits the right mark on both counts. In fact... I believe it's pretty much stronger than all the Washington DC tracks except for River Anacostia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:29 am 

Last edited by Blackie on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:59 am 

Please refresh my short-term-memory: did PJ Harvey record more songs at Somerset House than the ones that have currently been released (incl. Guilty)? Or: can we expect more 'b-sides'?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:38 am 

error wrote:
Please refresh my short-term-memory: did PJ Harvey record more songs at Somerset House than the ones that have currently been released (incl. Guilty)? Or: can we expect more 'b-sides'?

they recorded 18 songs i think..

well i should say they started off with a choice of 18 but probably didn't record them all

Last edited by Romario11 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:02 pm 

Official lyrics:

There's a little figure on the television
scratching at the ground by a pile of rags.
Grainy little figures on television screens
weighing up the moment – guilty, guilty.

What's he doing with that stick?
Which one is guilty?

Back in the bunker in the operations room
a bored soldier is eating his lunch
while drones in their thousands are unveiled in Texas
to roaring voices, but nobody asked us if we wanted them.

What’s he doing with that stick?
Which one is guilty?

Power to the predator. The Grim Reaper.
Grainy little suspects running for shelter.
The drones have come in their thousands
but nobody asked us if we wanted them.

Rules and regulation…

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:29 pm 

Romario11 wrote:

Still unreleased: "Imagine This", "I'll Be Waiting", "Age of the Dollar", "A Dog Called Money", and studio version of "Homo Sappy Blues".

With 11 album tracks and "Guilty" it's 17 altogether (there was also "The Boy", but this song is probably didn't finished).

Spoiler! :
"Imagine This": first song that she wrote after "Let England Shake" - Feb 2012, "for the Chain Letter project";
"Imagine this: around your eyes/ a rag is tied/ and you're on a track /right hand on the back /of another man";
blindfolded men being led away to a watery grave.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I'll Be Waiting": she wanted the guitar to be stuttering, in a bid to try and replicate the stuttering of children
suffering from post-war trauma; she wants a young boy to take the lead and that she would shadow him;
based on the poem "The Children" (?).

Some fan even wrote down the lyrics by the ear:

They swept across the land
They did not leave a thing
They did not leave a person
A stone or a tree

They did not leave anything
They did not leave anything

All they left is sand
All they left is sand

I remember father
I remember him
Every minute I remember
Every moment

Now I hate everyone
Now I hate everyone
Before I used to love

One day God shall grow
One day God shall grow
From their graves
When they return

Over their graves
I will be waiting
And when they return
I will be waiting

I will not leave a person
Standing
I will not leave anything
I will not leave anything

All I'll leave is sand
All I'll leave is sand

And then God shall grow
And then God shall grow
From their graves
When they return

God will be growing
Over their graves
I will be waiting
When they return

From another source: "I cannot forget / my father or brother/ they were killed / right in front of me"; "Now I hate everyone / Before I used to love all people".
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"A Dog Called Money": might be based upon the poem "A Guy Who Knows What the Fuck's Going On".
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Homo Sappy Blues": before the recording, it intended to be a potential lead single, but they changed it a lot; note "man to sing".

Jaw and a leg bones, reconstructed skull
On continents or oceans
They died so young

What God sent you,
sent you from your cave?
I need your wisdom
Homo Sapiens

Path of your migration
Is marked upon a map
Looking like a tattoo
On a kid's forhead

What God sent you,
sent you from your cave?
I need your wisdom
If only for a day

What God sent you? (x2)

They dying young around here
With a hunger in their guts
And a taste for vodka
Their friends' faces on their shirts

Last year they killed one
Just for his shoes
Tell me what God sent you?
I got the Homo Sappy Blues

What God sent you? (×2)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

John Parish called "The Boy" an "awful" song, and the band insisted for Polly to cross it out of the setlist on the wall, so this song is probably didn't finished.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
Romario11 wrote:

Still unreleased: "Imagine This", "I'll Be Waiting", "Age of the Dollar", "A Dog Called Money", and studio version of "Homo Sappy Blues".

With 11 album tracks and "Guilty" it's 17 altogether (there was also "The Boy", but this song is probably didn't finished).

Spoiler! :
"Imagine This": first song that she wrote after "Let England Shake" - Feb 2012, "for the Chain Letter project";
"Imagine this: around your eyes/ a rag is tied/ and you're on a track /right hand on the back /of another man";
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

well that is an early version of 'Chain of Keys' so i guess it has been released

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:42 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
Kuk91 wrote:

well that is an early version of 'Chain of Keys' so i guess it has been released

How do you know for sure? I mean, this concept and "Chain of Keys" are quite different IMO ("Imagine what her eyes have seen" and "dead end track" are pretty much the only reminiscent lines).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:08 pm 

On a side note:

Kuk91 wrote:
"I'll Be Waiting": she wanted the guitar to be stuttering, in a bid to try and replicate the stuttering of children
suffering from post-war trauma; she wants a young boy to take the lead and that she would shadow him;
based on the poem "The Children" (?).

http://www.vogue.co.uk/blogs/vogue-today/2015/pj-harvey-recording-in-progress

"There were also two guest singers on the day, but I was not sure who they were. A 15-year-old french boy, and another young man probably in his early 20s."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:15 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
Romario11 wrote:
Kuk91 wrote:

How do you know for sure? I mean, this concept and "Chain of Keys" are quite different IMO ("Imagine what her eyes have seen" and "dead end track" are pretty much the only reminiscent lines).

well i don't know for sure, it does sound like a reworking though.. who knows

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:23 pm 

Polly knows! Why doesn't whe reply on this board?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:26 pm 

error wrote:
Polly knows! Why doesn't whe reply on this board?

haha maybe the mysterious JPH knows?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next