Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Uh Huh Her 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
White Chalk 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Let England Shake 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
The Hope Six Demolition Project 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Least Favourite LP?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:24 am 

We are all here because we love Polly & we all have our favourites. But which LP is your least favourite?

Edit: updated to include The Hope Six Demolition Project

Last edited by protocols on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Least Favourite LP?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:43 am 

NO!! Lol, I love Stories so much, the beautiful layered instrumentation, her voice. Its unlike anything she's done. Uh Huh Her, on the other hand is the only album that I just go eh when I listen to it of hers. I just cant even remember the songs other than Badmouth, Shame, Its You, and The Desperate Kingdom. Oh and Who The F, but that's because that's one of the few songs, maybe the only, I just really don't like of hers. I used to not like A Man A Woman Walked By but ive been listening to it recently and loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:25 am 

Uh Huh Her for me as well. It just doesn't connect with me the way the others do.

https://www.facebook.com/glassislandpoland/

My band Strange Moments:
https://strangemoments.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/StrangeMomentsPL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 am 

Wha?! Somebody picked TBYML??? Who is this person reveal yourself lol. I don't think ive heard a pj fan yet say that was their least favorite!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:28 am 

Please don't beat me up too hard, but that's me who voted "To Bring You My Love". And it's not that I didn't like it, in fact I really like every song on there, but it's just doesn't work for me AS A WHOLE, as an album, and I don't even know why. I tend to think that's because there's only 10 tracks, most of them are quite long and the others are too short, so there's almost no "middle ground" (my dislike for "Down By the Water" music video and to SOME of her stage costumes from this period are probably adding to that as well). Plus, for example, I can listen to songs from "Dance Hall" every day, but as much as I love "Send His Love to Me" or "Long Snake Moan" I tend to listen to them once in a few days (on speakers, that is).

I also happen to like "Uh Huh Her" much better than "Stories", that's how weird I am.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:52 am 

Uh Huh Her for me too. It sounds like a collection of B-sides with no connection between them. Even if songs like "The Slow Drug", "It' You" or "The Desperate Kigdom of Love" are great, album's production is very weak. I imagine, sometimes, what this album could be if John Parish and Flood (or even Elvis Costello as PJ wanted) had produced it with PJ. I think every artist needs an eye on their work to improve it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:01 am 

Kuk91 wrote:
Please don't beat me up too hard, but that's me who voted "To Bring You My Love". And it's not that I didn't like it, in fact I really like every song on there, but it's just doesn't work for me AS A WHOLE, as an album, and I don't even know why. I tend to think that's because there's only 10 tracks, most of them are quite long and the others are too short, so there's almost no "middle ground" (my dislike for "Down By the Water" music video and to SOME of her stage costumes from this period are probably adding to that as well). Plus, for example, I can listen to songs from "Dance Hall" every day, but as much as I love "Send His Love to Me" or "Long Snake Moan" I tend to listen to them once in a few days (on speakers, that is).

I also happen to like "Uh Huh Her" much better than "Stories", that's how weird I am.

Lol, of course I accept your opinion( even if I completely 110 percent disagree). It's just something I genuinely cant wrap my mind around, it being my favorite album by anybody. I literally listen to it every day, I have two copies one I keep at home and one I carry around in my bag. And also, its strange because I think its so strong because as a whole it fits together perfectly. And the B'sides are incredible/ I think her voice was at its peak. And I LOVE the freaking costumes, the dance moves, the attitude. I could watch performaces for that era for hours and hours.

Its also funny you mention the outfits for the reason that I HATE the outfits and look from Uh Huh Her and I'm sure that adds to it.
I do like Dance Hall though, and very much am into A Woman A Man( very beefheart).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 am 

Pluton wrote:
Uh Huh Her for me too. It sounds like a collection of B-sides with no connection between them. Even if songs like "The Slow Drug", "It' You" or "The Desperate Kigdom of Love" are great, album's production is very weak. I imagine, sometimes, what this album could be if John Parish and Flood (or even Elvis Costello as PJ wanted) had produced it with PJ. I think every artist needs an eye on their work to improve it.

I agree. I mean, PJ already does more than 99 percent of artists. That could have been the downfall, trying to do everything on the album. But creative energy is higher sometimes and lower. PJs remarkably consistent though. I think of another one of my favs Joni M. who had a great 6 or so albums, and then bam- she just burned out or something

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am 

I'm torn between Rid of Me and A Woman A Man Walked By, but I decide for the second. The first is a particular album, is just the kind of sound that I like less of Dry or Is This Desire?
In contrast, in women to men by Walked I consider a low point artistically.
Who voted for LES? That album is a masterpiece ...

See you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:54 am 

Stories... so far

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:13 am 

Uh Huh Her is the one I listen to the least, even though "Shame" is the song that got me into Polly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:20 pm 

Kujjj wrote:
Its also funny you mention the outfits for the reason that I HATE the outfits and look from Uh Huh Her and I'm sure that adds to it.

Sure, some of them were a bit "too much", but I do love this whole concept of Polly wearing prints of her old photos - I see it as a very smart and strong mocking of glamour, like she is a shallow pop-star, a fan-girl of herself (a "50ft Queenie"-character reboot, if you will).

But when I'm talking about liking "Uh Huh Her", it's foremost about the music - I do like this lo-fi production.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:29 pm 

If I have to pick one, that must be A Woman A Man Walked By.
I like a lot the songs in there but as a whole it lacks something for me, I guess a certain solidity.

I used to think that too about Uh Huh Her. When it came out I felt like I was listening to some kind of greatest hits album:
as if she had sharpened and taken to the extreme the most peculiar traits of her music, picked here and there from her ten-years experimentations, ALMOST (god forbids!) repeating herself compared to the previous efforts.
Not a problem for me, since this album contains a lot of superb songs - Shame and tDKoL are among my absolute favorites- and after many many listens I think they are well tied together with a production that suits them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:44 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
Kujjj wrote:

Sure, some of them were a bit "too much", but I do love this whole concept of Polly wearing prints of her old photos - I see it as a very smart and strong mocking of glamour, like she is a shallow pop-star, a fan-girl of herself (a "50ft Queenie"-character reboot, if you will).

But when I'm talking about liking "Uh Huh Her", it's foremost about the music - I do like this lo-fi production.

That's how I see the outfitsfrom TBYML, a mocking of glamour/ like a twisted 50s movie star.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:44 am 

For me, it's definitely Stories. I think the lyrics are banal. I appreciate it conceptually as "the melodic pop album" but I rarely listen to it. It's also mastered way too loud.