It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Are you enjoying PJ's declamation of poetry?
Yes, very much so! 55%  55%  [ 22 ]
Not so much. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Where is the new album?! 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
As long as she does live appearances, I'll support everything she does. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I love "White Chalk" era shows, but that's too minimalistic even for me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I just want her to pick up the guitar and play "Rid of Me" - I don't like it when rock-stars go "artsy". 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 40
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:03 am 

Kuk91 wrote:
I think somme answered your question above.

Oh yeah, about the Eurydice, I think that may be part of line in the sand possibly, because I remember somebody saying the chorus was oh oh oh oh, like that vocal part was.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:06 am 

Last edited by Kuk91 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:07 am 

Kuk91 wrote:

Bless you!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:15 am 

Voice sounds better than ever, really liking both those songs- esp chain of keys,
Hearing a bit of Jefferson airplane in the song. Love the mellotron part

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:53 am 

all the same songs played again tonight, here is the complete setlist (as I think I remember them in the right order, but correct me if I would be in any way mistaken):

Chain of Keys
The Wheel
Ministry of Social Affairs
The Orange Monkey
Dollar, Dollar
Community of Hope
Homo Sappy Blues
Medicinals
Near the Memorials to Vietnam and Lincoln
River Anacostia

all the same poems too were read by Polly, but the picture show was somewhat different: no detailed comments by Seamus on most of the images, as the new interviewer focused attention on just a few of them, but several more still pictures and one short moving video (not from the first night) were displayed and briefly discoursed upon.

I found the whole show and practically everything in it better the second night, confirming my theory that enjoyment grows stronger with the recognition that follows from previous experience (though my own enhanced enjoyment could also have been, at least partly, due to being even better seated, closer and more centered).

Last edited by Pollyphoniac on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:56 am 

Which songs, now that you've listened twice, really stand out and which are meh to you. I've kistened to chain of keys on YouTube 5 times lol. I'm sure it even sounded 10 times better in person.

I like how the lyrics are less ambiguous than les, but still not dogmatic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:05 am 

Kuk91 wrote:
Spoiler! :

Thank you so much! <3 :dance:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:06 am 

Kujjj wrote:
Which songs, now that you've listened twice, really stand out and which are meh to you.

my top favorites among the ten songs are "Chain of Keys" and "Medicinals", followed by "Dollar, Dollar" and "The Orange Monkey". the only ones that I feel no enthusiasm for are "Near the Memorials..." and "Community of Hope".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:16 am 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
my top favorites among the ten songs are "Chain of Keys" and "Medicinals", followed by "Dollar, Dollar" and "The Orange Monkey".

Please, tell: from which song is this little clip? - https://instagram.com/p/8p3R0sMpqN/

Pollyphoniac wrote:
"Community of Hope"

During the recording, someone said how the last part of this song reminded "The Words That Maketh Murder" - choir refrain "and they're gonna put a Walmart here".

Kujjj wrote:
Oh yeah, about the Eurydice, I think that may be part of line in the sand possibly, because I remember somebody saying the chorus was oh oh oh oh, like that vocal part was.

That's a very good call, actually. )))

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:38 am 

Kuk91 wrote:
Pollyphoniac wrote:
my top favorites among the ten songs are "Chain of Keys" and "Medicinals", followed by "Dollar, Dollar" and "The Orange Monkey".

Please, tell: from which song is this little clip? - https://instagram.com/p/8p3R0sMpqN/

Kujjj wrote:

That's a very good call, actually. )))

We may never know though, if that song isn't released. Usually she releases most her songs though, there's a version of tbyml with b sides and it's as long as the album. I only recall two b sides from les, big guns and nightingale( which was one of my favorite songs from that period. Actually, many of her bsides are some of her best songs. Long time coming, as close as this, one time too many, sweet as anything.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:22 am 

Kuk91 wrote:

I clearly think it is from "Ministry of Social Affairs" (a song which rises further in my estimation now that I listen to this clip).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 am 

It’s interesting to read some of the reactions to these two performances so far – all with their own validity, of course – and I want to add my own.

First off, this wasn’t a PJ Harvey concert! This was part of the South Bank’s London Literary Festival, and the focus was about the amazing collaborative book of poems and images by PJ Harvey and Seamus Murphy, The Hollow Of The Hand. To have an expectation that this was going to be a gig would have left you with disappointment. To come anticipating a new artistic direction from one of music’s artistic chameleons, however, you would, I think, have had a profound experience.

I attended the second night’s performance and one or two comments above suggest this was the better of the two. I must admit to being a bit giddy when signs went up indicating the performance was being filmed!

The compere for the second night was Eliza Griswold, an American journalist and poet who has worked for many years with Seamus Murphy. My sense was that she added to the evening, rather than distracting, particularly as she clearly understands Murphy’s work. In her introduction she explained how the evening would be split into three parts – Kosovo; Afghanistan; Washington DC (as is the book) – and that in each part there would be a short Murphy video, then she would discuss a number of his photos; she would then “hand across to Polly” who would read some poems and sing some songs. Oh, and she mentioned there will be a “feature film” too!

My overall sense was about how much more richness and understanding I got when the elements being presented came together, and how open and transparent they were. For example, we saw video of Polly in Kosovo looking at remnants in a destroyed house, and of a Kosovan woman clutching some keys, followed by some photos of destruction. The discussion with Murphy explained that she was a kind of “custodian” for a number of houses that had been destroyed, and she kept the keys for these. We then moved to Polly reading Chain Of Keys, before then performing the song. This opening song was particularly interesting for me, as it is the one I heard her working on at Somerset House.

The background, explanation, and grit of the poem all definitely add to the experience of the song, for me. And Son and I were reflecting afterwards that this level of explanation of the story behind songs is something Polly is not renowned for!

I remain intrigued to know what the final album version will sound like as, as others have commented, the stripped back band of Polly, John Parish and James Johnston is even fewer than were performing in the Somerset House recordings (and remember, Chain Of Keys was a number Polly was wondering about adding a Russian gospel choir and a guitar orchestra to, at least at the Somerset House slot I went to!)

I was reflecting on PJ Harvey the artist as I drove home. I remember an interview around Let England Shake when she was talking about having a desire to visit some of the war-torn parts of the world that she was referencing in her music. That she went and did this, and did so without publicity, is incredibly brave and not without real risk. (Murphy is a seasoned war photographer and talked about the risk of taking Polly with him into certain territories; let’s not forget that she went to some very scary parts of the world.)

So what about the poetry performance? Well, for me this was the real unknown and I think, as an audience, it took us some time to “get” it. Polly was very exposed – standing on one side of the stage, reading poems with no introduction other than the title – and I thought her performance of them got stronger as the evening progressed. We didn’t get much time to absorb the words before either the next poem, or the next song, and, whilst having had one quick reads through the book, I found much of it sounding new to me and had a desire to go back and re-read and re-listen. I saw a cheeky Tweet about the “Pam Ayres bits” of the evenings – yup, for some of us of a certain age in the UK, poetry declaimed with a West Country twang has a particular (not helpful) connotation, but I thought many of the poems worked in the reading, and the accent is a part of what makes them real.

In terms of the music, on the first listen I liked it all, and loved some of it. On the evidence of the evening, there is a return to a lot of guitar (as evidenced by some of the video clips – particularly thanks to Kuk91 for two excellent examples), and Polly’s voice is very strong.

I also thought the openness I experienced in the storytelling behind the songs was reflected by an openness in Polly’s performance, compared with the LES shows. She seemed more fluid, dancey, and enjoying the performances (some great hand-clapping and high-register “yipping” at one point!) than the quite contained LES performances were. I don’t think I’ve seen James Johnston before, and felt he added greatly, particularly with his guitar work. And John Parish is a key collaborative element of this work, as with so much of what Polly has done over the years.

Finally, Polly’s outfit, as seen in some of the stills above, was a very welcome collaboration with Ann Demeulemeester again (as with LES). During the second interview section with Seamus Murphy, Polly and the band were in darkness, and I hadn’t noticed her taking off her jacket. The sleeveless, backless white top was a revelation, given the swathing corsetry of the LES outfits! Quite amazing! Oh, and her hair has been given a lot of attention too – clearly straightened her curls.

We won’t know what this album is really like until next year, but I think the tasters auger well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:16 am 

Just to let you know I didn't take any more video over the two. Wanted to watch live instead of thru a lens. Didn't notice the 'do not use cameras' sign' until someone waved the sign at me.

Fantastic night, wasnt expecting a concert, lot of audio visual crammed into 2 hours. Wouldve liked more on the photos and the creation of the book but then the show would've been about 8 hrs long and I'd miss my flight home.

For now I'll look forward to future releases, be it films albums books. Been too long.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:32 am 

I remember during most of the songs that they sounded like an amalgamation of all of her previous work. Some sounds were like a mixture of Stories and To Bring You My Love. It's gonna be hard waiting for the new album - and cheers for the videos.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:44 am 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
Kuk91 wrote:

I clearly think it is from "Ministry of Social Affairs" (a song which rises further in my estimation now that I listen to this clip).

No, I don't think so - there's a full video of "Ministry" from second night, and she even played a different guitar for it. Judjing thru an elimination method, I think it's either "Dollar, Dollar", "The Orange Monkey" or "Medicinals".
______________________________________________________________________________________

All "thank you" for the videos should go to the wonderful acquiescefc, not me.

Oh, and thanks so much to derbyshirepaul for such detailed and insightfull review!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next