It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Are you enjoying PJ's declamation of poetry?
Yes, very much so! 55%  55%  [ 22 ]
Not so much. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Where is the new album?! 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
As long as she does live appearances, I'll support everything she does. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I love "White Chalk" era shows, but that's too minimalistic even for me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I just want her to pick up the guitar and play "Rid of Me" - I don't like it when rock-stars go "artsy". 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 40
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:00 am 

I wonder if those are all songs that will be on the album though. For one thing, we know from the public recording there were like 18 songs. And if you look at Tbyml shows, there are times when half the performace was of b-sides and unreleased songs. Also, like Kuk91 said, their will be a difference between a show with 3 people and an album with all the instrumentation.

Funnily enough, I did not like Stories for months after I heard it, I thought it was boring and now its tied for my favorite with TBYML. And Is This Desire was once my favorite, I immediately loved it, and while I love all her albums( exept Uh Huh Her), Id put on Tbyml and stories before ITD.

The small clip of The wheel above sounds pretty good to me, what did you think of that song?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:04 am 

Homo Sappy Blues was another of those that I really liked. All Near the Memorials to Vietnam and Lincoln is one of those songs that didn't appeal to me. Medicinals though, I remember liking that one. but Orange Monkey, I remember only the title but not what the song was like (perhaps it was one of those that didn't impress me at all). - ah, awaiting tomorrow to hear it again. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:18 am 

The show was broken up in 3 sections, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Washington. Each started with a short film by Seamus Murphy of his and PJ's travels to the 3 locations, then showing his photographs and discussing them with Anthony Lloyd, a journalist who has worked with Seamus on assignments around the world. Then Polly read a few of her poems then John Parish & James Johnston joined her in playing the songs. It was very interesting to see the visuals then hear how Polly transformed them into poems and songs, her words painted the pictures perfectly.

I was impressed with the 10 new songs (complete album) that were played, and can't wait for the album, of course they will sound completely different with all the musicians she used in the recording studio and different again when she tours the album with a full band.

Quote:
I thought I was the only one who was not really loving it. Then, some people started leaving while Seamus was speaking about the photos (the most interesting part of the show, tbh). The most saddening part was seeing people leaving the audience when Polly was singing and hearing others saying things like "Finally, a good tune" when she finished "Medicinals".
People leaving during songs, going to the bar is nothing new it is typical behaviour for a small percentage of London concert goers, it has very little to do with the performer or the performance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:26 am 

sanvean wrote:
The show was broken up in 3 sections, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Washington. Each started with a short film by Seamus Murphy of his and PJ's travels to the 3 locations, then showing his photographs and discussing them with Anthony Lloyd, a journalist who has worked with Seamus on assignments around the world. Then Polly read a few of her poems then John Parish & James Johnston joined her in playing the songs. It was very interesting to see the visuals then hear how Polly transformed them into poems and songs, her words painted the pictures perfectly.

I was impressed with the 10 new songs (complete album) that were played, and can't wait for the album, of course they will sound completely different with all the musicians she used in the recording studio and different again when she tours the album with a full band.

Quote:
I thought I was the only one who was not really loving it. Then, some people started leaving while Seamus was speaking about the photos (the most interesting part of the show, tbh). The most saddening part was seeing people leaving the audience when Polly was singing and hearing others saying things like "Finally, a good tune" when she finished "Medicinals".
People leaving during songs, going to the bar is nothing new it is typical behaviour for a small percentage of London concert goers, it has very little to do with the performer or the performance.

The twitter reviews are all very positive about the songs. Was it specifically mentioned these were the exact tracks that would be on the record? I really want to hear Ill be waiting and UNHCR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:40 am 

It is kinda sad and awfully ironic how people make use of technology these days to limit themselves instead of enhancing the possibilities. When Polly played Last Living Rose and Let England Shake for the first time months before the release of the album, there were full videos of both songs recorded by the audience available on YouTube, probably made by people with a bigger, older smart phone or simply a heavy shitty digital camera. Better than recording videos with an iPhone S5 whose battery will go dead fast if you record a full video so you allow yourself only 30 seconds (even because Instagram or Vine won't allow bigger videos. Somehow people also forgot there is life beyond these ridiculous social media platforms, not to mention people can use extremely compact audio recorders and not even bother to lose the live performance while they watch it through a screen. Not trying to sound like the naggy bitch but this is really sad, I would expect the other way around 5 years later lol.

At least we got something and so far it sounds good :) Perhaps this album will be a watershed with her fans? Polly is a talented and extremely professional artist, I trust her on doing a good job, that doesn't mean her approach will please all and that is even more exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:47 am 

I know. You'd think with all the technology there'd be one full video of a song. But so far, there are only two 10 second Instagram clips. I can't wait to spring to hear the songs. Somebody, I'm begging record the songs!!! You can take a 15 minute video of your cat doing nothing, you can videotape pj Harvey's new songs for those who weren't lucky enough to be there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:20 am 

What time did it actually start? (Trying to time my journey).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 am 

sanvean wrote:

Quote:

Yes it is. Not normal though when they leave with their bags and jackets and seats start to get empty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 am 

Frenchbird1 wrote:
What time did it actually start? (Trying to time my journey).

8:10, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:13 am 

Kujjj wrote:
sanvean wrote:

Quote:

The twitter reviews are all very positive about the songs. Was it specifically mentioned these were the exact tracks that would be on the record? I really want to hear Ill be waiting and UNHCR

To be fair, no. They just mentioned the album once, about the release date.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:24 am 

Location: I live in a town called Millhaven. It's small and it's mean and it's cold.
An outstanding evening last night. Loved it.

Too early to compare to LES or any of Polly's previous albums as we have only heard the songs once and that was not with a full band.

I thought the evening worked brilliantly. Really enjoyed the format of Seamus talking about the photographs from each of the three areas followed by Polly reading her poems and then performing the songs.

Bought a copy of the hardback book which contains the poems and photographs and had been signed by Polly and Seamus. :grin:

When I went to Recording in Progress back in February they were working on the backing vocals for The Wheel. Great to have seen that and then how it has developed into the final song performed last night. Look forward to now hearing the album version.

Polly was in great voice.

Wish I was going again this evening.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:47 am 

I can't make the concert tonight at the Royal Festival hall, sadly. I have two tickets for the Balcony. Selling at face value. If anyone is interested, please contact me straight away on 07931 750043. My loss is someone else's gain! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:08 am 

head's_bullet wrote:
It is kinda sad and awfully ironic how people make use of technology these days to limit themselves instead of enhancing the possibilities. When Polly played Last Living Rose and Let England Shake for the first time months before the release of the album, there were full videos of both songs recorded by the audience available on YouTube, probably made by people with a bigger, older smart phone or simply a heavy shitty digital camera. Better than recording videos with an iPhone S5 whose battery will go dead fast if you record a full video so you allow yourself only 30 seconds (even because Instagram or Vine won't allow bigger videos. Somehow people also forgot there is life beyond these ridiculous social media platforms, not to mention people can use extremely compact audio recorders and not even bother to lose the live performance while they watch it through a screen. Not trying to sound like the naggy bitch but this is really sad, I would expect the other way around 5 years later lol.

My exact thoughts! I couldn't have said it better, though.

natinhos wrote:
I don't feel very surprised that the album will be released next spring, her head is "somewhere else".

Well, she is going to The Jaipur Literature Festival at the end of January, and there was an information on Twitter some while ago that it's gonna be a small "poetry tour". But since April or May do not fall under "early 2016" definition for me, like at all, let's hope it's March.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:42 am 

head's_bullet wrote:
When Polly played Last Living Rose and Let England Shake for the first time months before the release of the album, there were full videos of both songs recorded by the audience available on YouTube

And I remember people labelling the song LES, when she first performed it on The Andrew Marr Show, as "unlistenable and pretentious".
I myself did not really appreciate The Last Living Rose when she played it for the first time at Camp Bestival 2009.
Than it turned out those were not the definitive versions, so it might be too early to judge.

Anyway, thanks so much you guys for sharing so many details!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:04 pm 

People, who heard new songs live: please, listen to this vocalise from "Orpheus and Eurydice" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bnq12 - (starts at 44:10) and tell if that's a part of one of the songs performed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next