It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 pm 

As does Zane Lowe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVnlhhEGQXI

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:06 pm 

nice find!
I love to hear people talk good about PJ!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:49 am 

Nice one....thanks sau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 am 

Yes¡¡¡,I love Shirley,But I love More Polly¡¡¡¡¡Yeah¡¡¡¡¡ :green:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:47 pm 

And Alison Moyet. I remember her being interviewed for a questionnaire in, I think, the Independent back in 2007 and it is obvious from her comments that she liked the 'White Chalk' album. I found the comments on another site:

What do you think of the music scene in 2007? Which of the new crop of singers do you admire?

"When I'm making an album I don't tend to listen to much music. Truth be told, I'm not a great consumer of it anyway. My two latest albums have been Marry Me by St Vincent and PJ Harvey's White Chalk, which is a great record and is on morning and evening here at the moment."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/inter ... moyet.html

'White Chalk' is among her 6 best albums of all time:

'A very different album – a piano album, which isn’t Polly Harvey’s first instrument. However, that really helps make for great music. All too often when musicians are over-accomplished, things become too complicated. This is intense, beautiful and completely compelling.'

http://www.alisonmoyet.co.uk/forum/show ... php?t=6868

Also, a few years back - since the 'Stories...' album, I think - I saw Boy George being interviewed on tv and he was asked what he thought of the current music scene and he wasn't too impressed except for singers like PJ Harvey. I can't remember his exact words but he is definitely a big fan.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:53 pm 

Here is a wonderful quote from Alison. From 'The songstresses who inspire Alison Moyet' for The Guardian:

White Chalk, PJ Harvey

'I just find PJ Harvey so mesmerising to watch because she remains unfathomable. She is the kind of woman who makes you rue the day you weren't born her. She always seems to be the cat that walks alone and you don't feel you are supposed to know her. Her latest album, White Chalk, made me cry. It's not a howling piece of work, it doesn't go for the blatant heart stabbing, but she paints a direct picture. Its honesty really brings tears to your eyes.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/oct/08/2

Mark Steel