It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:52 am 

Thanks sanvean for uploading the booklet. That interview is a fascinating read.

Thanks also Kuk91 for keeping us all up to speed with all the PJ news!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:04 pm 

DrDark wrote:

And thank goodness there's no mention of this devastating "early 2016" thing. I don't know those journalists' sources, I hope it was a speculation, and I think that official press-release is not going to be released until at least a couple of months after sessions end. And if some new songs "have second lives" as poems, it would make sense to release the album alongside the book (or, hopefully, earlier).

DrDark wrote:
Thanks also Kuk91 for keeping us all up to speed with all the PJ news!

That's a survival mechanism, really - if I'm not able to go, I want to know as much as possible! )))

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:31 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
DrDark wrote:

And thank goodness there's no mention of this devastating "early 2016" thing. I don't know those journalists' sources, I hope it was a speculation, and I think that official press-release is not going to be released until at least a couple of months after sessions end. And if some new songs "have second lives" as poems, it would make sense to release the album alongside the book (or, hopefully, earlier).

according to someone on twitter she's at the jaipur literary festival jan 2016, so the 2016 release date would make sense if she's going to be be promoting the book first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
according to someone on twitter she's at the jaipur literary festival jan 2016, so the 2016 release date would make sense if she's going to be be promoting the book first.

(((

@RamzeeRawkz: "Chorus they were laying down sounded like about war hostages or Guantanamo inmates, it went, paraphrasing "imagine this, a cloth is tied over your eyes, you walk along a track, with your hand on the back of another man". They began with a soft take then did a harder take but at the end Harvey wasn't happy with it."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:18 pm 

Apparently, the song "Sight-Seeing, South of the River" is concerned with saving architectural authentic of the historical part of Washington, DC ("and they're gonna put a Walmart here").

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:47 pm 

Can I ask a really mundane question? Is there any restriction on taking bags into the event/recording session once they have been checked for mobile phones/cameras? Is there a cloakroom to check bags into as well as the 'secure boxes' for cameras etc?

After being fortunate enough to get a ticket and then travelling down to London, I don't want to run into problems at the final hurdle...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:07 pm 

rachelm wrote:
Can I ask a really mundane question? Is there any restriction on taking bags into the event/recording session once they have been checked for mobile phones/cameras? Is there a cloakroom to check bags into as well as the 'secure boxes' for cameras etc?

After being fortunate enough to get a ticket and then travelling down to London, I don't want to run into problems at the final hurdle...

They have a shelf/cloakroom type thing where they keep your bags after checking for recording devices :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Kuk91 wrote:
That's a survival mechanism, really - if I'm not able to go, I want to know as much as possible! )))

:thumb: Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:54 am 

natinhos wrote:
Just came back from Somerset House.

When I arrived, they were recording the bass line for "A Line In The Sand". Polly was dressed in black and stood very quiet in the first 10 minutes. I was surprised that Polly gives Flood a lot of freedom. I was surprised because I always assumed that she'd be super bossy and quite a control freak about her projects, but that is not the important thing here.

After the bass line, they started recording the backing vocals. For 30 minutes all you could hear was all the blokes singing "oh, oh oh oh oh, ohhh, oh oh oh oh ohhhhh" which is the chorus for that song. In the end they were singing the backing vocals for lyrics like: "enough is enough, a line in the sand, 7 or 8 thousand people killed by hand" and "I saw people kill each other just to get there first".

The subject is quite the same as LES. I feel this time things will be more "Universal" and even more ambiguous. The song was catchy but I was not hugely surprised or amused by it, tbh. It is as catchy as TWTMM but with a jazzie, slightly heavier sound and the song ends in an abrupt way. Her voice was in her upper range again and I am convinced that she has been working in her upper register quite a lot. Her voice sounds much stronger in the high notes and, despite not being a fan of her "church-singing-voice", I reckon that what I heard, vocally, sounds better than LES.

Another thing from LES are the male backing vocals, a trick to give the songs that sense of community that we got in the last record. Polly must be completely allergic now to low voices. The blokes tried to sing the stuff in a lower register, as suggested by Flood. That was the only time I saw Polly interfering with the process: "No, stop, it's just too low" . I thought it sounded way better that way, but, she's the one in charge! :)

I'll be back there on the 4th of Feb.

Edit: John Parish, minutes before the end suggested that they should move to another song, he seemed quite unimpressed with it, lol.

natinhos also posted this over on unforumzed and someone there asked him/her to describe the experience:

"I liked the experience. You are there for 45 minutes, you can stand and sit in a L shaped room that has windows that enable you to witness what is happening in the studio. They can't see/hear you. The studio itself looked very sterile, completely white with all the instruments lying around and two white cheap Ikea sofas. Mick Harvey and Jean Marc Butty were not there. Seamus was taking photos of everything.

The experience is a bit weird, especially when you seem to think that Polly is actually looking AT YOU (although she's not). I felt quite sick of so much excitement whenever that happened, really. It is amazing how quiet people remained, even though they guys inside the studio can't hear your, really. Everyone was just paying attention to every single detail of the song and the session, how they behave, etc.

Watching Polly so close was very weird. She was actually 10 cm away from me for a few seconds. OMG. She is a weird mix between a very stern, cold, old woman with a relaxed, happy girl. Her facial expressions changed so quickly and her gaze is intense but delicate at the same time. She is really a weird mix. The moments that we enjoyed the most, I guess, were those when Polly made a joke, smiled, cracked up or made fun of John Parish and his voice towards the end of the session. Another funny moment was when an Italian guy from the band (Enrico Gabrielli) was singing "Haven't" instead of "have not" all the time. John Parish told him "It is have not, that's what we are singing, not haven't". We were all giggling in the room. We got to see two different PJs there in such a small amount of time. It was fun.

I was also happy to see that she looks healthier now than what we saw in the photos last year. I did not think she was that thin, to be honest this time. And her hair is curly again "

Here's a link to it:
http://www.unforumzed.com/showthread.php?4288-PJ-New-Album-Thread-(Jan-2015-update!)&p=452028&viewfull=1#post452028

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:36 am 

Thanks ImpossibleDream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:56 am 

Went to the 15.00 Recording in Progress set yesterday. PJ, John, Mick, Jean-Marc and Flood all in attendance, "Imagine This" was the name of the song they were working on, Polly said this was the first song that she wrote after Let England Shake and it was very evident that this could have easily been on that album.

The session was incredible relaxed with a few jokes about Flood not being able to hit certain vocal ranges and Marc not pronouncing the lyrics correctly, towards the end they had tried speeding the song up and also Polly wanted a bit more ompf to it, her words not mine but the song was not quite working even though Polly said it was one of her favourites as it was not fitting alongside the other song they are working on.

I had a look at the wallchart which had the names of 18 songs they are working on and the progress of each song the only one which appear to be finished is "River Anacostia" this had a big tick alongside it and all the extra parts they had worked on had a line drawn through them, roughly seven other songs had a few extra parts to be finished, all in all a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain and one to which I feel very lucky to have seen.

I am going again on Tuesday, 10 February, 18.00, so hopefully I can give a progress report then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 pm 

As we can see, song "The Ministry of Social Affairs" is based upon a poem "The Beggar Girl".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:31 pm 

About "Recording in Progress" graphic posters: http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/pj-harvey-graphics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:44 pm 

@PolisLoizou: "WHAT KIND OF VOODOO. America. Slave chants. A boy scaring starlings. A coat of arms, goat and two-headed dog. #PJHarvey #RecordingInProgress"

Things we know about song "Throwing Nothing": lyrics came directly from a poem, the song is set in Washington, and it's about a boy scaring starlings away. ["At the refreshment stand / a boy throws out his hand / As if to feed the starlings / but really he throws nothing"]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:11 am 

http://www.alexnorrisbooks.com/forty-fi ... pj-harvey/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next