It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 am 

How many octaves would you say she has? I'm guessing she hangs in the 3 octave range. Probably can reach 3.5 when she pushes her voice to its absolute limit. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 am 

I made this thread recently: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=796

I'm tempted to call up her vocal coach (I ended up finding his contact information) and see if he may entertain that very same question. I think she's been capable of placing her voice way up there for a few years, but she didn't really get into it until White Chalk, and honestly, if Battleship Hill is any indication, she has strengthened in the upper register since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:03 am 

I think you're right maybe 4. I don't know much about the technicalities of singing but in reeling she practiced a lot. I vaguely remember reading somewhere about the recording of Rid Of Me & she mentioned techniques like singing though your teeth & activating higher vocal cords for certain songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:56 pm 

I would say four. On Battleship hill is definitely up there, probably higher than most of White Chalk.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:46 am 

:wink: http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t1005-pj-harvey

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:35 pm 

I dunno. Bloody loads! I suspect it would surpass most classically trained singers.
Additionally, because of her enormous vocal range, she can vary the harmonic content of each note more than anyone I've ever heard. This makes her able to express more & more diverse emotion than anyone - I've heard her articulate a greater range of feelings in a single note than some vocalists have managed in an entire career.

I've loved female singers from the first time I heard Joan Baez. Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, Siouxsie Sioux, Bjork, countless others have all captivated me. But I've never heard anyone like P J in 64 years.

She's unique. In fact, I'm not quite sure she's entirely human ... let's face it, she's the closest you'll get to a Goddess in this life!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:28 am 

diogenesagogo wrote:
I dunno. Bloody loads! I suspect it would surpass most classically trained singers.
Additionally, because of her enormous vocal range, she can vary the harmonic content of each note more than anyone I've ever heard. This makes her able to express more & more diverse emotion than anyone - I've heard her articulate a greater range of feelings in a single note than some vocalists have managed in an entire career.

I've loved female singers from the first time I heard Joan Baez. Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, Siouxsie Sioux, Bjork, countless others have all captivated me. But I've never heard anyone like P J in 64 years.

She's unique. In fact, I'm not quite sure she's entirely human ... let's face it, she's the closest you'll get to a Goddess in this life!

Yes She's a Goddess, a Muse¡¡¡