It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:19 pm 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... ?p=2&tc=pg

About two weeks ago, Francis Ford Coppola Winery quietly unveiled the initial portion of the extensive redesign of the property that was known as Chateau Souverain for nearly four decades. Even as construction on the pools, outdoor cafe and amphitheater continues, the new entrance, tasting rooms, bar and restaurant are spectacular, with an attention to detail that somehow establishes a sense of intimacy in the midst of grandeur. There is no mistaking that this is a personal project.

Anyone who loves film, especially Coppola's films, must allow plenty of time to peruse the movie paraphernalia. We don't want to ruin any surprises so just trust us when we say you should take the time to look at things leisurely; fans of “The Godfather” will be especially delighted and we're not talking about Vito Corleone's desk. It is great to see the desk, of course, but there is so much more, much of it on display for the first time.

This Sunday offers a great opportunity to visit. From 1 to 3 p.m., there's a release party for the latest edition of “Zoetrope: All-Story,” Coppola's art and literary magazine. Musician P. J. Harvey served as graphic designer for the issue, which includes stories by Ann Packer, Jim Shepard, Peter LaSalle and others. Admission is complimentary and includes a copy of the magazine and a glass of wine.

Wonder if Polly will make an appearance since she is cooling her heels until the American division of Universal Music decides it's time to release the new album.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:50 pm 

Thanks for the heads up! This is my local newspaper, but it seems that this is an out-take that didn't appear in yesterday's print edition. I'll definitely be there, with my camera!

http://www.franciscoppolawinery.com/visit/events#1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:40 am 

Well, I met Polly and we chatted for about 20 minutes...

Just kidding...No Polly. It was about what I expected. About 20-30 people there for the free wine. Normally this winery is pay-to-taste so this was sort of a rare opportunity (and the wine was pretty good!). And yes, copies of the magazine were handed out for free. After a brief intro by an employee who explained that Francis liked to fund short story development since many of his screenplays come from short stories, "Ellen" read "In A Grove" from the latest Zoetrope All-Story in it's entirety. Akira Kurosawa's film Rashomon was based on this short story.

The winery will be spectacular and unique when it's done. I don't know of any other winerys that have swimming pools (with cabanas)! The pools are still under construction.

Last edited by DrDark on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 am 
Site Admin

DrDark wrote:
Well, I met Polly and we chatted for about 20 minutes...

You got me, I must be in a gullible mood. :blush:

Looks like a nice day out. So you picked up free copies of the magazine for all Gardeners? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:03 am 

They were doled out rather carefully. There wasn't a big stack that you could help yourself to.

I should've also taken a picture of Coppola's five Godfather Oscars. I don't think I've ever seen an Oscar up close. There was a lot of movie memorabilia there. If your a fan of Coppola's movies, it's definitely worth a trip there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 am 

Okay, so now that the mazgine has sold out, here's my scans. These are in order as they appear in the magazine.

The Brown Hare:
On Colmer's Hill:
Box Of Gulls:
Head Of Edward Munch:
Eyes:
Weeping Stars:
Hoof-prints:
Herring Gull:
Blackbird:
Eagle:
Sunday Walk:
Lightbulb Family On Rug:
Edvard at Eype:
T.E. Lawrence at Eype:
The Reverend Lowman Lang at Eype:
Butterfly Leaf:
Happy Cyclops:
Blood On The Side Of My House:
October:
Wolf In The Rain:
Horse In The Rain:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 am 

Thanks for posting the scans. I had cut up parts of my copy and had Herring Gull and Wolf in the Rain framed on my wall amongst some other art. Now that I've moved, both the prints and the rest of the issue are boxed up in storage and I have found myself missing seeing them every day! I don't know why I didn't connect the drawings when I was there last month, but the radio tower in the Eype drawings really does stick out there. I took a couple photos of it myself because it seemed so out of place in the middle of all that gorgeous countryside. She does very well capturing a lot places in the area.