It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RIP Steve Albini
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:23 pm 

Shocking, awful news - Steve Albini died of a heart attack

https://pitchfork.com/news/steve-albini ... ies-at-61/

So many incredible records he was involved with, Polly's Rid of Me being just one on a very long list.

Post subject: Re: RIP Steve Albini
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 pm 

R.I.P.

Rid of Me is my favourite record of all time.

His work with Pixies and The Breeders who are bands I also love is up there too for me.

Sad news.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:20 pm 

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:13 pm 

fricking hell...

an tha wrote:
His work with Pixies and The Breeders who are bands I also love is up there too for me.

and i would add his work with Nirvana for " in utero".

2013 SPIN article, interview with PJ,Albini, Rob Ellis, Head and Maria Mochnacz , in case anyone missed it: https://www.spin.com/2013/05/pj-harvey-rid-of-me-oral-history-steve-albini/

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:48 am 

Very sad news :(

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:48 am 

What a sad new: still dazed!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:59 pm 

PJ:
Quote:
Meeting Steve Albini and working with him changed the course of my life. He taught me so much about music, and life. Steve was a great friend - wise, kind and generous. I am so grateful.
My thoughts are with him and his family and friends as we suffer his loss.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:09 pm 

I know Albini’s signature albums in the general consciousness have always been the noisy/rock-leaning ones, exploring quiet/loud dynamics, like Rid of Me, Doolittle, Pod, In Utero, etc., but I also always loved the gentler stuff he engineered over the years—Low’s Secret Name and Things We Lost in the Fire, Joanna Newsom’s Ys and Divers, Ocean Songs by Dirty Three, his work with Nina Nastasia, early Will Oldham stuff (as Palace Music), Jason Molina’s The Magnolia Electric Co. etc.

I remember Polly talking about 10 or 15 years ago that she would love to work with him again one day, if she ever writes a body of work that would benefit from his raw production techniques, and I can’t help but wonder what some of her latter-day albums (White Chalk or Let England Shake, or I Inside…) would sound without Flood’s tasteful atmospherics but with Albini’s warts-and-all approach instead.

I also wonder if they kept in touch over the years—I think they might have, to some degree; IIRC there were some candid photos of Polly on Twitter attending a Shellac gig in LA back in 2016/17.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am 

From @Laurajames53 on twitter: Polly at Shellac (Albini) gig at TJs in Newport

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:26 pm 

Polly remembers Steve Albini in The Guardian:

Quote:
I wanted to work with Steve from the moment I heard Surfer Rosa by Pixies. I had never heard anything as powerfully moving, both emotionally and sonically, and knew I wanted to hear my songs within that sound – a sound so alive, it was as if you were there in the room while the blaze of emotion was taking place.

Steve spent the first day of our recording session pacing and measuring the live room at Pachyderm [studio in Minnesota]. He would stand and look at the room a long time from different positions, intermittently clapping his hands. The band and I came and went, but Steve stayed from dawn till the late evening, absorbing and feeling the “shape” of the room, and learning what it could give him. I think we knew instinctively to leave Steve alone in the space to find what he was looking for.

He re-tuned Rob [Ellis]’s drum kit so it would be enhanced by the room and sing with it. He placed microphones in carefully measured positions to catch and open as sound met them at certain volumes. He set up our amps and guitars in the places he knew best for the room and the types of players we were.

He was driven. Driven to explore and learn from sound and space, but also mysteriously aligned with it in a way I didn’t quite understand, but knew to respect and try to learn from. He was an alchemist: patient, methodical, sensitive. Ready to capture the moment when it came. Work was hard and long as we all reached for something he knew would appear, and it did.

This intensity was offset by pauses when Steve might set his feet on fire. He was a funny man as well as being kind, intelligent and charming. I was drawn to him and his mystery, and my sadness at his death makes me realise how much I valued and loved this man. I feel lucky to have walked alongside him for a short while on this earth.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/artic ... eve-albini

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 4:06 pm 

another backstage pic from a shellac gig 23/3/94 angers, france

https://www.instagram.com/p/C66B9EwLF4Q/