It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tori Amos
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:08 pm 

As I maybe said on the old forum I once asked Tori to do a cover of Polly in Como and in Milan at a book singing and she said to me that she had been thinking about it for the 2005 tour. But nothing turned out. I don't remember where I read this, but the Pip character was partially inspired by Polly and Tori's husband finds Polly very attractive. Does anybody recall which interviews I'm talking about? :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:42 pm 

Skinned wrote:
As I maybe said on the old forum I once asked Tori to do a cover of Polly in Como and in Milan at a book singing and she said to me that she had been thinking about it for the 2005 tour. But nothing turned out.

oh you were there at that book signing (in Milan 4th July 2005), so was I! - and the concert the next day in Como (or more precisely, in Cernobbio on Lake Como) was marvelous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 pm 

Skinned wrote:
I don't remember where I read this, but the Pip character was partially inspired by Polly and Tori's husband finds Polly very attractive. Does anybody recall which interviews I'm talking about? :)

I'm going to ask around among my toriphile friends and float the question on some websites in order to try and find out.

by the way, would you know if there's some other Italian toriphile website apart from www.toriamos.it ?

I'm searching for ways to find somebody with a spare ticket for either of Tori's shows in Italy. because I just might decide to go to the show in Rome (or the one in Milan), depending whether I could get a ticket.

I must say, it surprises me a bit that nothing is being offered through the Italian eBay site (whereas both the German and the French eBay sites are bristling with ticket offers). this was so two years ago too, couldn't find tickets through eBay Italy. as if too many Italians had not discovered eBay. or might there be some Italian website for the purpose of buying and selling which makes people less interested in using eBay?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:32 pm 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
Skinned wrote:
As I maybe said on the old forum I once asked Tori to do a cover of Polly in Como and in Milan at a book singing and she said to me that she had been thinking about it for the 2005 tour. But nothing turned out.

oh you were there at that book signing (in Milan 4th July 2005), so was I! - and the concert the next day in Como (or more precisely, in Cernobbio on Lake Como) was marvelous.

Yes I was at the Milan book signing! :) In fact Tori did a mini italian tour in 2005, playing in 5 different cities! :)

The main italian Toriphile site is www.toriamos.it but I don't see any ticket being sold for the two upcoming dates.
I can tell you that the Rome show is very crowded, I've got shitty places because it's almost sold out.
For the Milan gig, you can go here http://www.ticketone.it/nc_id2144_pt529 ... ori%20amos

I'm not going to the Milan gig, cause I spent too much money for this woman.
in 2007 I asked for Daisy Dead Petals and she did it. This time I'll try with Humpty Dumpty.. I think she will spit in my eye!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:57 pm 

Oh! Found that Tori/Pip/Polly reference: it's from a strange interview appeared in the May 27th edition of the San Francisco Chronicle.
here it is:

POP QUIZ: TORI AMOS

Aidin Vaziri
Sunday, May 27, 2007

Even by Tori Amos’ lofty standards, “American Doll Posse” is a strange album. A concept piece about reclaiming the female psyche and taking on the Christian right, it sees the songwriter transforming herself into five different characters based loosely on the Greek pantheon of goddesses — Isabel, Clyde, Pip, Santa and, er, Tori — to sing the 23 songs on the disc. Each one of the make-believe friends also maintains a personal blog and takes turns appearing onstage with the singer as she tours the world. We tried to ask Amos to explain the concept, but it only made things worse.

Q: It seems like a lot of your fans would just like to hear you get behind the piano again and sing about your own life.

A: They’re foolish. If they don’t see that I’m singing about my life in these songs then they’re not as smart as I’ve taken them to be all these years.

Q: How are these songs about you?

A: The concepts are about me. What’s wrong with a good concept? Didn’t you like “Ziggy Stardust”? If you really want to play this game, the girl sitting behind the piano is also a concept. That’s an image. I do not stay in a box. You stay around because there’s still a mystery and you’ve been able to keep your private life sacred. My husband doesn’t know what the songs are about and he doesn’t want to know. He does want a date with each one of the posse, though.

Q: Have you granted him that wish?

A: I’m contemplating it.

Q: Haven’t you played dress up before?

A: It’s not just dressing up. You have to take on board your character. You have to step into it.

Q: So would you feel funny if he slept with one of the characters?

A: I don’t know. I would have to get back to you on that.

Q: You would probably feel funny the next day.

A: I might. But on the other hand I might have been a wise woman and understand better Pip than Polly Harvey.

Q: Why, does he want to sleep with her, too?

A: Absolutely not. No, no, no. Polly is an old acquaintance of mine. I’m just trying to make a point to you. It could be Chrissie Hynde. If he’s drawn to that I’d rather have Pip sort him out than another woman.

Q: Did you have any idea how hard it would be performing as five different people and running five different blogs and having your husband lust after five different women?

A: No, I didn’t. But now I do.

Q: Do you regret it?

A: I don’t regret it yet but I don’t sleep a lot. You’re carried by adrenaline and by the story. Usually, once the record is out that’s it. Sure, you tour, but with this the creating is still going on. The journals go on to Christmas. As the girls go out into the world and start relating there are going to be reactions from that and I have to somehow work with it.

Q: All five girls will perform every night?

A: No, this isn’t about how fast I can get a costume change. It’s about a narrative. You’d have to come to four different cities to see it. Only one girl comes out a night. But I can’t tell you who’s going to show up each night.

Q: Wouldn’t it have been easier to just put together a group like the Pussycat Dolls and call it a day?

A: Easier? Why would I do that? They’re dancers. They’re about entertainment. I’m a musician.

Q: But don’t you think all this is a bit much for the average person to take?

A: Ultimately, it’s about listening to the music. Just listen to the record and rock and get some mojo and go shag your wife. Or just shag yourself

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:31 pm 

Skinned wrote:
Pollyphoniac wrote:
Skinned wrote:

Yes I was at the Milan book signing! :) In fact Tori did a mini italian tour in 2005, playing in 5 different cities! :)

actually I think it was six cities: Genua, Modena, Cernobbio, Sesto Fiorentino, Rome, and Naples. (I went to the first five, then my train pass expired and I had to leave very promptly, felt like I was going in the wrong direction by heading up north across the Alps.)

Skinned wrote:
The main italian Toriphile site is http://www.toriamos.it but I don't see any ticket being sold for the two upcoming dates.

somebody did sell a pair of tickets for the Milan show on that site, but so far that's the only offering I've seen there.

Skinned wrote:
I can tell you that the Rome show is very crowded, I've got shitty places because it's almost sold out.
For the Milan gig, you can go here http://www.ticketone.it/nc_id2144_pt529 ... ori%20amos

I'm not going to the Milan gig, cause I spent too much money for this woman.
in 2007 I asked for Daisy Dead Petals and she did it. This time I'll try with Humpty Dumpty.. I think she will spit in my eye!

:laugh: I've been having similar ideas lately, thought I'd ask her to play some really obscure b-side, and I've actually considered Ode to the Banana King; but maybe Samurai would be better, or why not Alamo or Till the Chicken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Pollyphoniac wrote:
now, anticipating my own stint on Tori's current tour, thinking what song request(s) I would like to make of her, suddenly it occurs to me that perhaps I ought to ask her to do a cover: why not a song authored by Polly Harvey? which Tori (to my knowledge) has never done, so this is begging the question: which particular PJ song would you prefer Tori to play? I invite you to express your opinions here.

Trying to answer your question here... Mmmmmh, it's hard, I'd not thought about this before, but it's a very interesting thing.

I love Tori's voice when she sings in her low range (bass range), like she does in the "You could almost drown her waterfall,
You could almost drown my waterfall" part of Ruby Through The Looking Glass, or in Enjoy The Silence, some parts in Liquid Diamonds, Purple People, etc. You know what I mean, I guess, right?

Well, what about performing "Electric Light"? It would be a little wierd, but could be beautiful too.

Other sugestions:

Civil War Correspondent (would be delicious)
We Float
The Dancer
Fountain
You Come Through
The Dark Days of Me and Him

Regarding Polly covering Tori Amos, let me think about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

And what about these B-sides?

As Close As This
Memphis
Wills Song
Bows & Arrows
Stone
Rebecca

Ah, returning to the wierd thing, I'm very curious about how Tori would arrange and sing a cover of Darling Be There :shocked: It could be great, really.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 pm 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
good suggestions, all of them, except that it needs to be emphasized that my question was: which Polly-authored song should be performed by Tori - but the other way around: which Tori song ought to be covered by Polly, that's no less interesting.

Oh but I did understand which way you meant. That's why I said Plants & Rags. Another idea is I'd like to hear DBTW on piano by Tori :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 pm 

Gosh, the artwork for her Christmas album is so tacky..

:(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:04 pm 

i saw this picture on @forum, but where is it originally from? i wonder if it's official...?
and yeah, it is tacky.
generally the idea of making christmas album is at least weird if we are talking about Tori :/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:37 am 

at first I thought it was a fake. Unfortunately even Wearsthetrousers lists the album with that cover.
http://wearsthetrousers.com/2009/09/17/ ... er-graces/

and this pic also surfaced

I dunno what to think. Let's hope in the music. I've always hated all that xmas shit, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Skinned wrote:
I dunno what to think.

I do like this cover, I find it very close to Tori's conflict on how to take religon things. This cover reminds me ADP poster a lot, maybe because it seems to be the same character (Tori herself in a special mood), and a little of Frida Kahlo paintings. I like very much contrast between different ideas, finally it talks about how Tori feels regarding Christmas... Why does she look at it this way? What feelings are moving inside her about? Christmas is not necesary a happy thing for everyone. And if this is a kind of sarcasam or a dialectic message, it's perfect for me.

Skinned wrote:
Let's hope in the music.

At the end, this is the main thing. Let's hear her new songas and see how she covers existing ones. I think, as an example, she did a really master work in Strange Little Girls covers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:09 pm 

Me and my Marshall wrote:
At the end, this is the main thing. Let's hear her new songas and see how she covers existing ones. I think, as an example, she did a really master work in Strange Little Girls covers.

I adore Strange Little Girls and I think it's a masterpiece.
Many xmas albums out there are good: Sufjan Stevens' and Low's, for example.
We'll see!

ps but I still think that in that cover she seems an egyptian mummy. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Skinned wrote:
ps but I still think that in that cover she seems an egyptian mummy. :D

LOL, you're right, though it seems like a porcelain doll or a Japanese mask to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next