All times are UTC

Post subject: Joanna Newsom
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:39 am 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/ma ... -interview
http://trueslant.com/jeremyhelligar/201 ... teresting/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Newsom

Post subject: Re: Joanna Newsom
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:12 pm 

I just recently saw Joanna Newsom live in Ohio back in March.

It was a pretty amazing show. I have listened to her latest album non-stop since February.

However, I did make the comment to my friend (a fellow PJ lover) that "PJ Harvey would never do this."*

*Before the concert began, Joanna came out onstage in regular clothes to tune her harp (for about 40 minutes) It kind of took away the magic of seeing the performer within the performance? If you get what I mean. She came back later to begin the show in a dress and it was a great show, but something about that was upsetting. It was like she broke the fourth wall or something (LOL!)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:32 pm 

That harp is a pretty unique instrument. I suspect there aren't any "roadies" able to tune it up to her liking. I agree that it certainly would take away some of the mystique to see the performer doing something like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 pm 

Oh, she's amazing. However I know only a few song of her, still I would love to see her performing <3

DrDark wrote:
I agree that it certainly would take away some of the mystique to see the performer doing something like that.

Think I wouldn't mind to see Polly even cooking or something ;) :D

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:50 pm 

I heard it's pretty common at this point, for her to take that long to tune her harp. What I don't understand is why she doesn't do it before hand? Does it have to be in the moment?

I guess the rule of thumb at this point is to arrive 40 or so minutes late to one of her shows? lol

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:37 pm 

^ My guess is that her harp is extremely sensitive to changes in position and/or temperature so it has to be tuned just before a concert and in it's exact spot. Probably a lot like a piano.

Last edited by DrDark on Sat May 29, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 pm 

^
That's really interesting. I wonder how artist like (ugh, Tori Amos) does it since she tours around with a piano herself. She doesn't, as far as I know, take up that much time tuning it. *shrug*

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:20 pm 

That was only the original tuning before the show. She re-tuned after "The Book of Right-On" (midway through the concert) and again before "Monkey & Bear".
Someone asked her why she had to tune it so many times to which she replied, "Oh, why is the sun hot. Why is the sky blue?" She was in good spirits and apologetic, I guess I just hadn't anticipated it. It sort of slowed the mood down. She also commented later that she realized it was probably OCD but she was afraid that the one time she didn't tune it correctly there'd be a "shredder-harpist in the audience going, hmmm that's not in the right key." She was supposed to begin at 8:30 but she didn't begin until about 10:30. And the show wasn't over until close to 1am and she only played 11 songs. So yeah... I'd say that seeing Joanna live is both a wonderful experience and a test of patience! To her credit, she was amazingly emotional and involved in her songs once she got them started. The music almost seemed to transport you to another place and she was your very facial-expressionistic guide! It would be several voices and laughter and chatter during these tuning sessions but once a song began it was a marvel at how you could hear a pin drop in the room. To me, that's a real testament to a gifted performer.

Also, I don't want to sound crabby about being disappointed in the 'magic'. I'm just accustomed to going to concerts and having that opening act finally leave before one of your gods comes out in darkness and you cheer as they roll into their opening song. Back in 2004, when I saw PJ Harvey again live, she came out to "Fountain" which was like - it was just amazing to be shrouded in darkness as you hear the opening bass lines. You just know you're there. With Joanna, she came out in regular clothes after the opening act and tuned the harp for 40-45 minutes without ever speaking to us and all of the stage and house lights were on. I was confused on whether or not I felt she was snobbish, super professional, or shy. Maybe a mix of all three. But it did confuse me. I kept expecting her to say hi or something (many people took an intermission, but I wasn't about to lose my second-row eye-line seat.) Just a different atmosphere, more down-home, folky, which is appropriate I guess for her music. For instance, the entire performance was lit. We were basically lit so she could see us (being in her eye-line was unnerving a few times because I could tell that she was looking at me) No light effects, no darkness, etc. Just a different experience altogether. One I would ultimately recommend! DO NOT COME LATE (ha!) because I saw people completely steal seats. No one stands so it's crucial to have a good seat because the harp itself sort of dwarfs her and could potentially block your view. Half of the show is made on her facial expressions and physical movement to her songs. She really delivers in that regard.

I've seen many live acts and the definite worst were Deftones (even though they played "Teclo") and Cat Power.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Pitifuljoy wrote:
^
That's really interesting. I wonder how artist like (ugh, Tori Amos) does it since she tours around with a piano herself. She doesn't, as far as I know, take up that much time tuning it. *shrug*

This is why many artists opt for electronic pianos instead of real acoustics. They're big, heavy and must be retuned every time they are moved. House pianos are unpredictable. Are you suuuuure Tori Amos lugs an acoustic around on tour?

Leon Russell used to play the club I work for, and he always brought along this huge, full sized concert grand. Or at least, it was a huge, full sized concert grand on the outside, if you looked down from the right angle you could see that inside there were no strings or hammers, just a relatively small, electric piano built into it! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:33 am 

^ huh, Leon's been cheating all these years!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:31 am 

DeBarra wrote:
(being in her eye-line was unnerving a few times because I could tell that she was looking at me)

Unnerving is the right word. At the El Rey last year we were close enough for eye contact with Polly. :shocked: It was definitely a memorable moment.

Regarding Joanna, she is obviously super talented, but I'll admit I'm having some trouble with the voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl0uLrXP7U

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:36 am 

DrDark wrote:
DeBarra wrote:
(being in her eye-line was unnerving a few times because I could tell that she was looking at me)

Unnerving is the right word. At the El Rey last year we were close enough for eye contact with Polly. :shocked: It was definitely a memorable moment.

Regarding Joanna, she is obviously super talented, but I'll admit I'm having some trouble with the voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl0uLrXP7U

Ah, yes. "Sprout and the Bean" is actually fairly old now and among her first few songs released. Her voice then was very unhinged. It's a little more settled now.

A suggestion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Greq05zAS9g (Enjoy a picture show to accompany song!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RYoyvYaBEI&feature=related (To enjoy her kooky facial expressions!)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

bluesman905 wrote:
^ huh, Leon's been cheating all these years!

Well, Leon has a LOT of years behind the piano, back before decent sounding electronic grands were invented. The image of him at the keys of a full sized grand is part of his brand, I don't blame him for not giving it up. I mean,

Just imagine what he would look like behind a skinny little electronic keyboard, with spindly little legs. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:16 am 
Site Admin

I'd love to see musicians tuning their instruments before a concert. It'd take them off of the pedestal, where only the music should be.

Or maybe I'm just a nerd. Does anyone know how to tune a harp just so I can watch? ;D

Her voice in The Milk-Eyed Mender definitely takes some getting used to, often someone catches me listening to it and compares it to a child's voice. It sounds pretty good on Ys and especially her recent work. I read somewhere it was affected by her undergoing surgery on her vocal chords a few years ago.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 pm 

I can't get enough of "Peach, Plum, Pear" lately.
Upon first listen, I was like WTF?! But her voice grows on you. Especially after you take the time to read the lyrics. She's an amazing songwriter.

When I listen to her at work, my boss asks me if I'm listening to an old Disney animated movie soundtrack :laugh:

FaceplaceEl Jay