It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PJ CD Rips
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:27 am 

Hi,
My PJ CDs are all ripped @ 320kbps but they still sound shitty. Granted, I have small speakers but some other CDs sound so much louder @ 192kbps. Dry and Rid Of Me are especially "low"; I've ripped them using iTunes and then my trusted Easy-Cd-da Extractor but even with the volume up to 100% they don't sound satisfying enough. I was thinking of downloading some "lossless" copies I've found 'cause I don't know how to rip my copies into that format.
Why is it that only PJ's CDs sounds bad @ 320? What would be better than that format? What are lossless copies like, would I be able to add them to my iTunes and stuff?
Any input would be appreciated :o

edit: Well, I stopped being lazy and looked up .flac and got some answers. I ripped TBYML in one .flac file and holy fucking God it is glorious–it's like a whole new experience.

edit #2: OK, I think I got to the bottom of this. It wasn't the 320 rip, it was iTunes itself. I went to the PJ file location on my hard drive, and played TBYML with vlc player and then compared it with iTunes and it was a huge difference. Why would the same song sound different in different players? My volume adjustment is at none, which I presume is the correct choice.

edit #3: I messed with the equalizer (View, Show Equalizer) and put in these settings and it made it a bit better, still lower than through other players though. What do you guys have yours at?

Post subject: Re: PJ CD Rips
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 am 

I'm not an expert at this by any means, but I have noticed that there are significant differences in the loudness between differently sourced mp3s. This should be a simple scaling problem taken care of by increasing or decreasing the volume.

I suspect there may be loudness differences between players also. I use vlc from most everything now. I got tired of having to update itunes (at 60-70 MB each time) and pitched it.

Itunes also installs a very chatty multicast network protocol called Bonjour. This is how ipods find each other. Without an iPod there is no reason to have this stuff busying up your network.

Post subject: Re: PJ CD Rips
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:29 pm 

Thanks for your input. I was pissed off that night but changing the equalizer settings helped. I like how everything is in one place in iTunes, and how it keeps track of your play counts and such.
The updates and the space/memory requirements are really annoying though. To think I've been listening to all my CD rips all this time in a much lower volume :eyeroll: