It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 'Black Hair' (Nick Cave)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
This is a song about Polly that doesn't get as much coverage (unlike 'West Country Girl' and 'Far From Me') as it should because, to my knowledge, it's only ever been played live once. So, to fix this error, I offer three goodies for Nick Cave and Polly fans.

Nick's original text of the song:

Image

And both versions of the song, the first is the official piano accordion version from The Boatman's Call album, the second is a piano version from The Boatman's Call Out-takes.

Official version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d2wdeyjdnyu

Out-take version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wvdmjjn3lmk

:green:

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 am
Posts: 36
Location: Sweden
Thank you! Haven't heard the out-take version before.
Oh, how I love this song, so melancholic... I think I actually prefer it to West country girl.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
supersonic wrote:
Thank you! Haven't heard the out-take version before.
Oh, how I love this song, so melancholic... I think I actually prefer it to West country girl.


I prefer the ending of the out-take version, the sort of cascade of chords that he plays, even though I love the accordion. I think Black Hair is more sort of sacred than West Country Girl, which has been used and abused.

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 82
thanks for this, i love this song and i rather miss the PJ and Nick thread from the old site so i'm glad this is here, given the excitement of their singing together again.....i can't believe i missed that! -its good to have moments of indulgence- i think Nick needs events like this and playing with Blixa to inject a bit of excitment around him again


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:13 pm
Posts: 681
Location: dreamland Ohio
the bad seeds seems kind of... odd now that blixa AND mick are gone.. :'(

_________________
if there's a want for something new, you might find me at the start, or where it ends for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 82
yeah not really the Bad Seeds any more, to quote someone either from this forum or goodson ' I blame the 'manlove' between nick and warren' and maybe domesticity -not that i would begrudge any one that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 82
yes i like the out takes version best, i also like the version on the Liss Ard album with nick alone at the piano


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
CLBella wrote:
thanks for this, i love this song and i rather miss the PJ and Nick thread from the old site so i'm glad this is here, given the excitement of their singing together again.....i can't believe i missed that! -its good to have moments of indulgence- i think Nick needs events like this and playing with Blixa to inject a bit of excitment around him again


I agree.

Here's the "loves you Polly Jean" version of West Country Girl (not a good recording, but worth a listen) from the old forum:

http://www.2shared.com/file/6384571/4f3 ... _1997.html

And this is a bluesy piano version from The Boatman's Call Out-takes, which I think is superior to the album version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7b8a ... f6e8ebb871

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
yarnforhair wrote:
the bad seeds seems kind of... odd now that blixa AND mick are gone.. :'(


Yeah. :tear:

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
CLBella wrote:
yes i like the out takes version best, i also like the version on the Liss Ard album with nick alone at the piano


:eek: I've never seen it. Do you have it?

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 82
I have it on the Liss ard cd - no visuals contact me if you want it

thanks for the other links


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
CLBella wrote:
I have it on the Liss ard cd - no visuals contact me if you want it

thanks for the other links


Thanks for the offer. I had a listen of a sample of the Liss Ard 'Black Hair' at Amazon (amazed), and it's just like a solo show version that I have. My curiosity has been quenched. :-)

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:32 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 2339
Location: ~ +38.4, -122.7
pink_and_chipped wrote:
This is a song about Polly that doesn't get as much coverage (unlike 'West Country Girl' and 'Far From Me') as it should because, to my knowledge, it's only ever been played live once. So, to fix this error, I offer three goodies for Nick Cave and Polly fans.

Nick's original text of the song:

Image

And both versions of the song, the first is the official piano accordion version from The Boatman's Call album, the second is a piano version from The Boatman's Call Out-takes.

Official version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d2wdeyjdnyu

Out-take version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wvdmjjn3lmk

:green:



(I didn't post this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke9PvmCxlcY

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JelqPcoaAB8"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am
Posts: 111
DrDark wrote:


I like.

(You're always good at youtube finds)

_________________
I cannot explain this, dear, I will not even try ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 82
thanks for this

i like it- just wish it didn't make me feel so nostalgic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: