It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:19 pm 

Hey guys!

I guess this is my first entry on the new forum.. I like it! :)

Well my band just released the very first EP this week. We play experimental music.
Check it out, 3 tracks of 5 - http://www.myspace.com/iamyouweareband

Any kind of comments are welcome!

Last edited by mandelstam on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:18 pm 

purty darned good, I say. :grin:

(by the way, are you singing too, or only playing guitar?)

welcome to the new Garden, by the way. you've been missed (until now).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:23 pm 

How nice! :)

Yep I'm singing, playing the guitar, mandolin and trumpet on those tracks.

Indeed it's good to be back!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:33 pm 

I'm probably going to sound like an asshole here... But it's alright. Your vocals are ok, but not so much the males. He seems to not be keeping in key too well (unless that's what he's trying to do). I like the choice of instruments. Different, but that's refreshing to hear. Not a fan of the lyrics. They seem a little predictable/cheesy. And i don't like the image if that's the EP cover... Seems budget, and like something that anyone could do given 10 minutes with photoshop. This might sound a little rude, but i'm trying to give some constructive criticism. From what i've read, your band hasn't even been together for a year, so i see alot of potential if you all embrace it. The vocals and lyrics are the biggest downer for me. But over time i'm certain you will both get much better at what you're trying to achieve. We all have alot of idea's in the beginning, but it's learning to articulate them which is the hardest, and getting at a comfortable stage artistically with other musicians. But saying that, your vocals are still quite decent. I personally think the lyrics need some more ambiguity. They aren't creating much imagery in my head or getting me to think because they are quite straight forward. I was still impressed by the songs up there. I just think they could be improved. Give it a few years and i think your band will be much more impressive. But really, decent work. There is alot of potential here.

EDIT: Just thought i'd add that the instrumental work is quite good. And your pronunciation of "veil" seems off... You seen to be saying "veel", but it's pronounced "vay-il"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 pm 

Big Machine Writing wrote:
Just thought i'd add that the instrumental work is quite good. And your pronunciation of "veil" seems off... You seen to be saying "veel", but it's pronounced "vay-il"

there, stuff your mouth with veal, sweet singer! :laugh:
- and wear your veil better still. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:59 am 

Big Machine Writing wrote:
I'm probably going to sound like an asshole here... But it's alright. Your vocals are ok, but not so much the males. He seems to not be keeping in key too well (unless that's what he's trying to do). I like the choice of instruments. Different, but that's refreshing to hear. Not a fan of the lyrics. They seem a little predictable/cheesy. And i don't like the image if that's the EP cover... Seems budget, and like something that anyone could do given 10 minutes with photoshop. This might sound a little rude, but i'm trying to give some constructive criticism. From what i've read, your band hasn't even been together for a year, so i see alot of potential if you all embrace it. The vocals and lyrics are the biggest downer for me. But over time i'm certain you will both get much better at what you're trying to achieve. We all have alot of idea's in the beginning, but it's learning to articulate them which is the hardest, and getting at a comfortable stage artistically with other musicians. But saying that, your vocals are still quite decent. I personally think the lyrics need some more ambiguity. They aren't creating much imagery in my head or getting me to think because they are quite straight forward. I was still impressed by the songs up there. I just think they could be improved. Give it a few years and i think your band will be much more impressive. But really, decent work. There is alot of potential here.

EDIT: Just thought i'd add that the instrumental work is quite good. And your pronunciation of "veil" seems off... You seen to be saying "veel", but it's pronounced "vay-il"

Criticism is always good to hear! Yep, we have a pretty "low budget", it's not that cheap to make an EP and we're not signed to a record label (and that's not our goal).

Thanks anyway :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:39 am 

I like the sound of it. I like that there's no drums in veil (maybe whole band?) and that they flute is prominent. Can't think of another band I've heard that uses flute so high in the mix so nice work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:05 pm 

Yeah i agree. There is alot of good going on here, and i see so much potential. Just out of curiosity... Why don't you sing in Swedish? Assuming that's your first language.

And i do again appologise. I didn't want to come across rude, i just see there being alot of positives to come from this project. You have the right idea in mind, and i'd like to see how that develops. I will admit i see flaws in it currently (which i haven't been quiet about), but i still see alot of potential! I just prefer giving critical opinions because it seems to have a better impact instead of me saying "ZOMG!!! THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD"... Which could result in you thinking there is no need to develop you music. Which, can be flattering, but i personally don't enjoy that sort of response. Whether you choose to take on board my advice/opinions is up to you, because i probably only speak as a minority (who knows). Continue doing what you enjoy, take in other peoples feedback, but never feel as if you need to act upon it. I see peoples opinions as fuel for writing music. No matter how negative or positive they are. Always have people unexpecting what you have to offer.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:08 am 

Because me and the other singer find it more difficult to write lyrics in Swedish. The English words comes more of itself...

You don't have to apologize :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:57 pm 

Hey mandelstam, i'm always up for supporting indie music! Problem is I can't find a way at your myspace or web page to buy the EP. Am I missing something?
Sounds great by the way :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:45 am 

Hey congrats on getting the ep out :) How do you buy it though?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 am 

Hey bluesman905 and catonthewall. We're selling our EP thru a record store, dunno if it works abroad, but still check it out!

http://www.bengans.se/Product.aspx?skiv ... tion=music

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 pm 

Here's a download link for all you ppl living outside of Sweden...all 5 tracks for free! :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzziaggmmte
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 pm 

mandelstam wrote:
Here's a download link for all you ppl living outside of Sweden...all 5 tracks for free! :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzziaggmmte
Enjoy!

Thanks mandelstam, I dropped by the record store link and probably could have made it through the check out in Swedish but I didn't feel comfortable with it.