It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
Skinned wrote:
Blonde Redhead and Joanna Newsom in Rome this month.

AWESOME! and in Rome? Jealousy has kicked in!

Me too¡¡¡¡ :neutral:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:45 am 

Hay algún argentino que vaya a ver a los Pixies el 6 de Octubre en el Luna Park ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

I was driving around the other day and noticed "Cat Power" on a marquee. :shock:

Bought tickets today. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:05 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:
I was driving around the other day and noticed "Cat Power" on a marquee. :shock:

Not gonna happen here... we don't have marquees anyway ;)

When is is going to be?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:22 am 
Site Admin

Oct. 22. It's a small place, general admission. I don't know how popular she is here, but I'm betting there will be a long line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 am 

Oct. 22. It's a small place, general admission. I don't know how popular she is here, but I'm betting there will be a long line.

Can you do me a favor? If you get a chance to talk to her that is, tell her that she needs to get her little ass back into a studio or to at least release some new music! She's been touring for 5 million years it seems! *shakes fist*

Also, incredibly jealous of you. I'm a huge fan :wink:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ha, I'll try. She had such trouble in the past, maybe she's just getting the tour thing down. Way down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:18 am 

speak of the devil.... http://pitchfork.com/news/40292-cat-pow ... nts-on-lp/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:28 am 

She had such trouble in the past

Nice that she made it out of that mess in one piece!
And, yes...more studio time needs to be booked asap.

yarnforhair wrote:

My Twilight Zone moment for the day. I already wrote the above post once, hit submit and it forwarded to your post instead of mine yarn. My original message is still bouncing around somewhere.

edit: thanks for the link yarn :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:29 am 

Lacuna Coil next up.

Missed Blonde Redhead through flu :( , how was Rome?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:43 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:

Good bit of research there, yarn. Thanks, I can pass that on to someone who is a fan.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 pm 

Not upcoming, but recently passed: Just back from seeing The Jim Jones Revue tonight...Rock 'n' fucking Roll! :-) Absolutely faultless playing.

Remaining European tour dates here:

http://www.jimjonesrevue.com/website/live

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 pm 

sau wrote:
Not upcoming, but recently passed: Just back from seeing The Jim Jones Revue tonight...Rock 'n' fucking Roll! :-) Absolutely faultless playing.

Remaining European tour dates here:

http://www.jimjonesrevue.com/website/live

The Jim Jones Revue, The Komedia, Brighton

Thursday, 07 October 2010 10:50

The Jim Jones Revue, The Komedia, Brighton

Written by Thomas H Green

The great music writer Nick Tosches put me onto James Luther Dickinson. In Where Dead Voices Gather, his self-indulgent but fascinating book about the obscure early-20th-century minstrel performer Emmett Miller, Tosches kept touching on Dickinson, a Memphis musician and occasional Rolling Stones sidesman (he played piano on "Wild Horses"). Tosches wrote that Dickinson's 1972 album Dixie Fried was "a dark gale-force reworking of old Southern music, a baptism of loud and dangerous rhythms, that stands as one of the great testaments not only of rock'n'roll but also of its ancient unfathomable roots". Who could resist? I immediately located a copy.

This isn't the place to wax lyrical about Dixie Fried. Suffice to say that Tosches was right and it became one of my favourite albums. It opens with a version of "Wine Wine Wine", originally a 1959 single by early Texas rock'n'blues outfit The Night Caps, but Dickinson turns the song into a blaring assault of visceral punk-ish power. I never heard anything like it... until last year when The Jim Jones Revue crossed my radar. On their recent singles collection, Here to Save Your Soul, almost every song had a similar spirit of rock'n'roll combustion, as if Little Richard were having it out with the MC5 at the end of the world.

'The songs are simple but potent, no retro schtick trip but an urgent visit to the primal dawn of popular music'

It suits The Jim Jones Revue that they are not in the first flush of youth. They come instead from the Nick Cave school of slicked hair, sharp dark retro suits and waistcoats (indeed, Grinderman drummer and all round dirty rock'n'roll perennial Jim Sclavunos produced their latest album Burning Your House Down). The Komedia in Brighton is packed with an audience of a similar age, the overall look being weathered, lived-in, no American leisurewear but lots of burlesque-friendly ladies and gents with quiffs. To roars of approval the five-piece lay down the gauntlet by opening with the Little Richard number "Hey Hey Hey Hey", hammering it home with amphetamine gusto. Frontman Jim Jones once did the same job for late-Eighties Stooges-alikes Thee Hypnotics, but where they were a passable outfit, he now seems to be utterly in his element, his rough voice even reaching a gargling nails screech when he fancies it.

This suits the music just fine but what really sets it off is the piano-battering of keyboard player Elliot Mortimer. Numbers such as "Rock'n'Roll Psychosis" and "Killin' Spree" fairly boil with his Jerry Lee Lewis energy. The songs are simple but potent, no retro schtick trip but an urgent visit to the primal dawn of popular music. As the set wears on jackets come off, Jones strips down to his leopard-print waistcoat, and the band's forelocks start to flop out of carefully cultivated pompadours. Rock'n'roll is a young man's game but The Jim Jones Revue couldn't give a damn, they're going to go down fighting, defiant.

By the time they reach their barn-storming closer, "The Princess and the Frog", they have dipped deep into Tosches' thoughts on James Luther Dickinson, yet they also bring something of London's own bawdy heritage to the table. They take raw American music and lay on a quintessentially English sense of punk raucousness. By the time they leave the stage, they are lathered with perspiration and they're not the only ones. Their recorded music is often cracking but the live arena is where The Jim Jones Revue belong and tonight, once again, they left a gleeful, enthused audience sated.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=27

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 pm 

ethereal wrote:
Lacuna Coil next up.

Missed Blonde Redhead through flu :( , how was Rome?

yeahh I love Lacuna Coil and cristina scabbia is very very Hot¡¡¡¡
:green:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 am 

jesuspolly wrote:
yeahh I love Lacuna Coil and cristina scabbia is very very Hot¡¡¡¡
:green:

I had to laugh because the front row was full of guys (and a few girls) snapping away on their cams the entire show :eyeroll: , my effort here(!). They put on a great gig anyway, been meaning to see them for years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next