It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:14 pm 

Whats the Gaiman short stories about? Sounds interesting! I stuck with The Dream Eaters now and really enjoying it actually. Im only 2 chapters in but it really is a page turner. I hate describing a book like that but its actually quite fitting right now :P

Did anyone read Siren Rising yet about PJ? Im interested if its worth it. I have this about Tom Waits which is brilliant:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innocent-When-Y ... 573&sr=1-1

Great for flicking through before bed or whatever. Waits is such a legend!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 am 

RichR wrote:
Whats the Gaiman short stories about? Sounds interesting!

There are pretty disturbing stories at the majority - about missing peaople, strange crimes and fantastic creatures x> Creepy, but I really love it! They are sure briliantly written.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:37 am 

reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:41 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:
cat on the wall wrote:
An old book from the 70's about statistics er, boring.

LOL, why are you reading it?

I have a book to read for work, "The Findability Formula" by Lutze. It's about search engine optimization. Whee!

Studying, but its kind of intesting. Learning's always fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:18 pm 

thanks sau sounds tempting enough
i've been reading patti smiths 'just kids', robert bolano's Savage detectives- of which i've only read the first section but has made me laugh- not so great with a twisted rib- and Town Smokes by Pinckney Benedict which are intense short stories set in the american south...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:49 pm 

Thelonious Monk : the life and times of an American original

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:04 pm 

CLBella wrote:
thanks sau sounds tempting enough
i've been reading patti smiths 'just kids', robert bolano's Savage detectives- of which i've only read the first section but has made me laugh- not so great with a twisted rib- and Town Smokes by Pinckney Benedict which are intense short stories set in the american south...

The first time I read your comment I had just started reading...'Just Kids'! Good photographs in there. Having visited New York and loving it I enjoyed reading about the areas I went to and she lived in and knew...knows. Tompkins Park area, the Bowery and CBGBs, East Village, Avenue C, B, A, or wherever it was!

Currently reading 'Dangerous Talk: Scandalous, Seditious, and Treasonable Speech in Pre-Modern England' - how's that for a title? - by David Cressy. Certainly helps readers appreciate free speech in England today. For saying something the 'powers that be' didn't like you could get your ears cut off, or put in a pillory and have an ear nailed to it. For treasonous talk you could get hung, drawn, quartered, and/or burnt.

I have got a lot of reading 'done' since the start of the year. 'Satan's Circus' by Mike Dash - about a New York cop who is the only US police officer to die in the electric chair. In the late 1800s to early 1900s New York businesses had to pay protection money...not to the Mafia but the police! Highly recommended. Not bad for a writer from England. There are even extracts on Mike Dash's own very good site...

http://www.mikedash.com/

Plus Nick Kent's 'Apathy for the Devil'; 'Cultural Cleansing in Iraq'; 'This Time We Went Too Far', about the invasion of Gaza in 2008/09; those last two for light relief! :-(; 'It's Only a Movie' by Mark Kermode.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:27 am 

I'm really into the classics. I'm working my way through Jane Eyre. It's better than Little Women, every one of the girls in those books comes of to me as a total Mary Sue. I also really like science fiction, I'm beginning to read Dune, and in my English class right now we're reading Fahrenheit 451. As you can tell I like to read many books at the same time.
The other day my twin sister was telling my about this really weird and wrong kids book called "Latanya the Naughty Horse Learns to Say No to Drugs". Seriously. It really exists and people bid on eBay just to have it :laugh: ! She was also telling me about this Harry Potter fan fiction called "My Immortal", and it's very famous for being very, terribly, horrendously, bad. My sister ran it through a Mary Sue litmus test and it scored 140 (you're supposed to toss out the character if they score close to one hundred or above).
You should really search 'em up on google. :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:20 am 

^ Fahrenheit 451 :grin: been a "few" years but remember it well! Great read

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 pm 

fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:44 am 

Golding: Lord og the Flies...

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:43 am 

reading 'the peregrine' by J.A. Baker about his obsessive tracking and immersion into the pergrine's way of life, astonishingly compelling (once on to the main part) and beautiful use of language

failing to read any of the 'shoulds' on my list for work

xbella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:26 pm 

Just finished reading Sarah Silverman's book, "The Bedwetter." If you like her humor then you'd like the book but I've encountered many people who find her disgustingly inappropriate. I on the other hand love it. Now I'm going to start Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist because I'm OBSESSED with the movie. I can't get enough of it. The Swedes really have their finger on the pulse with Let The Right One In and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. If there's any Swedes here, major kudos!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:49 pm 

^
I'm currently reading "Let The Right One In" as well! The movie is so chillingly beautiful, I just HAD to read the book.
The book, of course, is turning out to be better(the movie really does leave out so much, but without hindering the story I think)

Have you seen the trailer for the american remake yet? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzTxD6zYiz4

I'm curious, but it almost looks like an exact remake of the original.

I'm also reading Anne Rice's "The Vampire Lestat" mostly because a client gave it to me and partly because of my current insomnia.

The fact that these two books are ~vampire themed is totally coincidental of course! :P

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 pm 

I openly admit that I am a anime and manga nerd. I'm almost finished with Fullmetal Alchemist, and I've already read the entirety of the death note series. (hmmm, I wonder if I'm the only one on this forum who reads japanese comics...) I'm still waiting till my older brother lets me read his akira comics. They are supposedly one of the graphic novel series ever written.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next