It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Just spreading the word in case any Americans are interested in helping the cause of marriage equality, as only citizens are allowed to donate.

As you may have heard Maine legalized same-sex marriage a few months ago. However, there is a proposition to overturn this decision the same way Prop 8 overturned it in California, which will face the ballot in November.

This is a very important event: it can keep the momentum in favor of the cause, and set a precedent by being the first ballot box win for same-sex marriage. It's very winnable, and Maine is a small state so the campaign is affordable. Yes, we all know you're going through a crisis, but they could use ANY amount of money you'd be willing to donate, however small it might be.

More info:

On why Maine is important to the cause

No on 1: Protect Maine Equality

Donate!

Thank you for reading. Go Maine!

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for this. Cali's Prop 8 was a slap in the face and their ads an insult to our intelligence. "OMG, if they legalize same-sex marriage then they will teach it in schools and then my 7 year old will come home and ask me questions about it, WHAT WILL I SAY! OH IT IS TOO MUCH TO BEAR!" Such bullshit. It makes me wonder if people trying to "save" marriage could really be such lousy parents. </rant>

I"ll check into this and probably donate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 pm 

When are people finally going to drag themselves out of the dark ages?
Proud to say Toronto is way ahead of the game in this respect. Been marrying whoever wants to get married since '03 and in '05 Senate ruled that same-sex couples must be granted the right to marriage, in every province and territory. So same-sex marriage is now legal across Canada.

Last edited by bluesman on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm 

fuck.

i don't get this; if people are going to make it so extremely difficult for people of the same sex in a loving relationship to get married, who truly want to be married, then they should make it harder for straight people to get divorced. deprive the people of it who want it most. makes a lot of sense. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 am 

Hell and High Water wrote:
Thanks for this. Cali's Prop 8 was a slap in the face and their ads an insult to our intelligence. "OMG, if they legalize same-sex marriage then they will teach it in schools and then my 7 year old will come home and ask me questions about it, WHAT WILL I SAY! OH IT IS TOO MUCH TO BEAR!" Such bullshit. It makes me wonder if people trying to "save" marriage could really be such lousy parents. </rant>

I"ll check into this and probably donate.

Yes. Every time I see one of those "Vote Yes on Prop 8" on cars I get super pissed off and try to give a foul look to the people inside. I just simply do not get it. It's freaking discrimination hidden under typical religious, right wing, fear mongering bullshit. "Oh my kids this, my kids that." Total fucking crock. It has nothing to do with their damn kids. Pure ignorance and intolerance at its best. It's almost 2010. I can't believe this is still an issue. Love is Love. Period. Religion should have no damn place in government.

if they are so damn worried about protecting the value of marriage, they shouldn't make it easy for people to go to vegas on a drunken stuper, get married, and then oh no, decide it was a mistake and get it annulled as quickly as possible.

Edit: yeah, what yarnforhair said.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:04 am 

bluesman905 wrote:
Proud to say Toronto is way ahead of the game in this respect. Been marrying whoever wants to get married since '03 and in '05 Senate ruled that same-sex couples must be granted the right to marriage, in every province and territory. So same-sex marriage is now legal across Canada.

Right! I'm in Toronto too, I always vote for equality this is absurd they are still so far behind on this in the 21st century.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Admin

bluesman905 wrote:

When, I don't know, but a very nice study on the generational gap on support for same-sex marriage in the US was published some days ago and it confirmed the trend.

Canada is a very privileged place as this reality of equality is not true in most countries. Unfortunately we can't delete the brains of these people, but Maine by Maine is how reason will prevail, and we who are still in the dark ages will follow suit. On another good note, Uruguay was the first Latin American country to legalize same-sex adoption today. :)

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Any rational person knows that this change is coming, but the opposition isn't going away either. I didn't think Prop 8 would pass, and I was wrong. I've done what I could afford, and hope for the BEST, this November.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 am 

This is something I sign for often I thought might be of interest, one of my friends told me about it & I always sign. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/human-rights/gay-rights/all

You can make a petition on this site for free: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/create-online-petition

All about creating an effective free petition:http://www.thepetitionsite.com/create.html

They have polls also I'm not sure how to start one but it's on there or you can suggest one.

Petitions are very important because they raise awareness inspire others and change ignorant attitudes. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

:(

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 pm 

damn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:20 am 
Site Admin

Yeah. I'm always amazed when these issues are even close. And in Maine too. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:06 pm 

I got into a HUGE argument with my mother about this on saturday. There is just no convincing her(and I'm sure there are loads of people who think like her, which is why it passed)

Then I saw "Milk" last night and cried like a baby. *sigh*

FaceplaceEl Jay